Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CPU temperature @ 106 C. ?????

Hopefully there is someone who visits this site that call tell me what is the normal temperature range for a Intel P4 CPU running at 3 Gigs with the hyper threating tech. i am asking because one of my utilities is warning me that my CPU is too hot. Says it is running at 106 C. I get the same result even if I start the machine up after an overnight shut down.
    Rob

Sounds like a sensor glitch. 106C is above the boiling point of water. No way a CPU would be certified to function at that temperature.
    Nick

Yeah , when i overclocked my old AMD's i'd get to 80 or 90 degrees, but its not good, 100degrees willl melt solder in a second, you can get a temp probe from thermaltake that will give you a LCD screen to put on the front of your computer for an accurate readout at all times.... lol that might be a little overkill tho
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

YOu got me interested since I've never thought about CPU temperatures except to know how important heat sinks and fans are. This web page (http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm) gives a list of max temps for various CPUs. For a P4, they suggest 66-78C as the maximum. At higher temperatures, it appears that some versions of the P4 actaully can sense the high temp and slow down the CPU clock to reduce heat production (http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/p4-throttling/). Either way, if the 106C is right, even on the heat sink, it doesn't sound good :-(
    Nick

I have my cmos set to shut my comp down at 90

But he stated that it had hyperthreading and it was a 3ghz so it will run hotter then a normal p4
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Well the computer is running fine so I Will hope it is a sensor glitch but I may put in a 2nd cab fan to be save.
    thanks guys. Good Link Nick
    Rob

ijo
    I had mine way up there aswell... take the CPU out and make sure its clean... one of those compressed air cans help get the dust out.

IJO

Machine is near brand new Ivan. Heat sink is clean. This machine even has a Basel that directs air from a fan on the side of the case right to and over the CPU. Unless the guys that installed the new mother board last week messed something up. I think I will check out a new utility...
    Rob

Are you running with the side cover off. These machines require the side cover to be on at all time. If not the air flow will be to week and it will over heat you CPU. Also insure that there is no material in front or behind the cpu tower/desktop where the vents are located.

The other thing is that all new CPU usually comes with a Heat sink and a fan. you want to insure that the fan on top of the CPU is working...

Last of all check you mother board suplier to insure you are running the most recent version on bios.

Also stay away from the air cans. unless you are using a grounding strap this cans can cause a static shock that can wipe out your CMOS chip. I usually use the soft brush that comes with you home vac.

Hey cman I never heard about the compressed air being able to do that so I learned something new today. Cover is on CPU heat sink and fan on and running with that directional tunnel Basel going right to it back fan also running. Dam thing is only about 6 weeks old

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast