Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Electricians

I am sure there must be at least 1 electrician who visits this site. I have a house wiring issue that makes no sense to me and need some advise / pointers? Please respond.
    Rob

whatz up!!!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Your an electrician Mpleleaf?

at your service !
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

OK ... I have a circuit in my house that is the Master bed room / up hall and bathroom. For no know reason 1/2 of the circuit is not working properly. the 1st few receptacles work fine but the rest are not. There is power at them but the circuit tester says that the hot and ground are reversed ??? The breaker is not being thrown? How can the hot and ground be reversed without throwing the breaker? Is there anything I should be looking for that is a dead give away for this issue? I checked in the all the other boxes of the effected circuit and all looks OK.
    Rob

The problem probably lies in either the last good plug and the first bad one. Could be a broken or weak wire connection or a broken neutral(white wire). What happens if you plug say a light in the affected plugs !

nothing is working in any of those plugs?? I will go check wit ha lamp and be right back
    Rob

lamp dose not work in them

if it makes any difference I notice that the middle light on the tester pulsates slowly when plugged into the affected receptacles

Does your light have full brightness or only seem to half as bright? Your fuse would definitely blow or trip if your ground and hot were switched but if something in your circuit was leaking to ground it may not necessarily trip but give the tester the impression of the ground and hot being switched ! Enough current to fool the tester but not the breaker ! One way to test for this is to leave the tester plugged in and start pulling things that are plugged in till it clears !HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast