Way off topic electrical question

I seem to recall there are some electrical guys hanging around & I'm trying to get a opinion, if you have time.

It was suggested that line noise may be causing a failure in my GPS in my Buick. So it being a Sunday & me being impusive I went to Radio Scrap, picked up a 10A line filter, a male & a female auto plug & wired them up.

The debate is if this is enough. I think adding to the circut is over kill, there's already a fuse in the box & even though there would be a line spike before the fuse pops (if it pops) that's why the filter is there.

The add more side is anything from a simple 10A fuse to this: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm?appnote_number=760

This is the filter & it was (as expected from Radio Scrap) missing it's documentation: http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...log=RadioShack The site also doesn't say anything other than 10A noise reducing filter.

The disadvantage I have in the discussion is I really don't know if RS put anything more than a resitor & a capictor in the line filter. (Anyone?)

So any opinions? Do you think my zoos will be able to find out where they are?

Cheers!

liv
    the name of the electrical guy, i think its "xlink".. but could be wrong.
    as for the filter, all depends on the problem ( noise or other )
    if its a pulse or a variation of current in the line a normal filter like you put in wont do a thing. did you monitor the current in the car while driving of when your gps got the failure.

alternators dont charge as much at idle.. so the voltage may drop a few volts... or your alternator might be charging too much .( i sign of a dead or dying alternator )

check it out and let us know.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Well I thought the problem was noise which is why I picked up the filter. Now it looks like it could be as simple as a power surge when I start the Rendezvous & me being an idoit & having the gps plugged in when I start the truck.

If that's the case I think I just tossed $30 down the drain & I'll have to look up zenner diodes to try & remeber how to use them.

Anyway, I haven't done this for at least 9 years, so aside from being rusty as all hell in electronics, I don't have 1/4 of the toys the repair shop used to.

Oh & the failure is cute, it blows out the antenna on the GPS.

Or maybe I'll eventually learn to disconnect the gps before I shut off the car & only plug it in after I start it.... sigh.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

liv
    I would put it on a switch and turn it off before closing and starting the truck or at least a timed relay.

definitly sounds like too much or too little current
    get a voltmeter and hook it up on the same circuit its on..then simulate when it blows up.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30