Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Law would cut grow-op power

Thought I'd share this

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968342212737

I sent an email to the editor ...

I just read this article "Law would cut grow-op power" ... Draconian indeed! [New Democrat MPP Michael Prue (Beaches-East York) said: "This seems hugely Draconian."]

I keep saltwater aquariums in my home. Many of the pumps and lights are setup on timers to coinside with the life cycle of my livestock and my draw on power may just trigger a disconnect. If the only criteria is to look at data of my consumption levels without investigation then I (and many other aquarists) would be deemed "grow-ops" along with countless others who have unusual power consumption for legitimate reasons. The livestock in our aquariums are very pricey ... what recourse would we have after they killed all our livestock?

Lawrence, Kingston, ON

Grow-ops usually consume 10 or 20 times as much power as an average 120 - 180 gallon setup.

Check your hydro bill average household consumption is aroun 800KWH per month, if you exceed these grossly (like 5 or 10 times) you may be likely to get noticed.

I think they would be better of sending a RCMP/Police with warrant if the excess usage is determined. Save them a ton of law suits.

I agree with venkiw on this one. the average grow op usually involves full basements of high wattage HM Bulbs every 10 sq ft. They also usually try to bypass the meter when setting up to deter detection. I think the average home tank owner is safe.
    Rob

ijo
    every 10 square feet eh? hrrmmmm I might be in trouble ... anyone have a generator they would like to get rid of?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Maybe you can bypass your meter...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

hehehe Hey all, I'm aware of the differences with the consumpstion of a grow op (commercial size anyway )and our setups but it just irks the sh%t out of me that they can take these kind of short-cut to good investigative pratices. Laws, once past, are always open to abuses, and this is one that I see as being poorly concieved. Similar to the 'anti-terrorist omnibus bill' ... our rights are always the last thing on their minds. They need to be reminded .... constantly.

Cutting off power simply on the basis of excess usage with no warning or other due process would be highly inappropriate and unconstitutional. If someone has by-passed the meter, the power company might have recourse to disconnect the by-pass. The courts might also take the high consumption as reasonable cause for the police to investigate.

My local cable company once cut a coax cable inside my house because that was their policy - completely ignoring the fact that it connected my VCR (which was under the TV) to a remote second TV so my son could watch videos.

Rules like this are invitations to errors and law suits.
    Nick

nickb . the cable company is not allowed to cut ANY CABLE WIRES INSTALLED IN YOUR HOME by you or the builder. All those cables belong to you ... NOT them. They MAY disconnect those cables from their supply depending on what you are paying for but they can not destroy your stuff. they can also NOT take any splitters that you may have because doing so is THEFT
    Rob

Rob, I had that discussion 1 time to many.

They just don't give a crap & they have the attitude that they can do what ever the hell they please. As far as they're concerned they're a monopoly & customer service is somethign the customers provide on knee pads.

I went to satellite 2 years ago because of the last argument about the $5 a month rent a splitter from us 'cuz we cut yours off arguement.

I figure they gave up (so far) $3,500 of my business because of $165 of spite. But in cable-provider world, that makes good ecomonic sense. I'd love to say what I really think of it, but there might be children reading the boards

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Oh and on the hydro disconnect, they're mostly after people that by pass the meter. If you're actually paying for what you're using odds are they'll ship you a case of beer and a thank-you note if you use 1/3 as much power as a full on grow op.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast