Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RO/DI okay for drinking?

I'm getting mixed info on this.

I ended up getting a RO/DI unit with a 4 gallon pressurised tank on it. I got it through budget approvals based on the idea of hooking the fridges drinking water / ice maker to it as well as using it for my fish.

Now I'm hearing that RO-DI water might be too pure to use as drinking water. Is that true?

Cheers!

to pure to use as drinking water? where did you hear that? its perfectly fine for drinking, i use it for my water cooler (dont have a cool fridge like you) instead of buying Poland Spring or the like.
    Albert
    My Photos

Ask the person who told you that if they drink bottled water?if they do tell them that they drink too pure water.....In way maybe he could be right though....cause if you drink always bottled water you have no bad stuff in it......and if you drink some tap water you get some bacterias and all that.....the same principle as a flu shot they give you the flu to protect you against it........so it boosts up your immunie sytem...if your never drink those metals and bacterrias your system will neverget use to it and you have a weaker immunine sytem.....Anyway maybe i dont know what i am saying either but its just what i think what your friend was saying
    Derik...

The instructions that came with my RO/DI (Kent) suggest that you should not use the water for drinking as the DI part removes all minerals from the water. If you want to use it for drinking, they suggest to by-pass the DI stage and take the water that comes out of the RO filter. I had a few glasses anyway...it tastes fine but it's kind of funny that there is absolutely no taste to it compared to city water... Mmmm...Chlorine.

I bought a 4 stage RO/DI unit and just built in a bypass for the DI part to make drinking water. It's just a Y splitter and a couple tiny valves. I use RO/DI for the tanks and RO for drinking water.
    Susan

Hum....i will by pass my di ...thanks guys
    Derik...

I found some interesting reading on it:

http://www.finishing.com/138/06.html

It's a lengthy read (against is first, pro is after), but I'm inclinded to believe that there's no problem drinking RO/DI water.

I forget if this article mentions it or not but one of the things I found on the net suggested that the primary reason de-ionized water is marked "do not drink" is because the chlorine etc has been removed.

Once you remove that, there's no way of knowing if some nasty bacteria moved in or not.

Besides the aquariums this is going to be used mostly for coffee, frozen juice, cooking, tea and the odd glass of water. I don't think that's going to be a problem

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

you can get your minerals elsewhere.
    i'm drinking it as is my wife, and we're both still alive (otherwise who'd take care of the fish?)
    Albert
    My Photos

AAAAAHHH UNDEAD UNDEAD!!!! RUUUUNNNN!!!

Oh sorry it was just you

Hallowe'en is coming, what can I say?

The arguement is basically that stripping the minerals off reduces the osmotic pressure of the water allowing them to be leached out of the cells in your body rapidly.

This causes them to explode (osmotic shock) and you develop internal bleeding and die.

However since your stomach and digestive system were designed to handle water and are coated to protect you and since there's acid and undigested what ever in there, it's not going to stay terribly pure for very long.

Now if you injected RO/DI water, that would be something else

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I aslo drink mine....It has a very good taste compared to city chlorine water
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast