Thread: Breather Bags

Breather Bags

Another question from the dazed fella, especially after this afternoon.

Does anyone know where I can buy breather bags without having to order online as I need them for Tuesday of next week.

I went to Bi Gal's this afternoon, inquired about them and the guy looks at me like I have 2 heads and says that I should be able to use large sandwich bags to package my fishes and corals.....is he for real?

Any help much appreciated.

breather bags? ... I have never heard the term before. What are they for?
    Rob

yeah im interested too,never heard of that either
    Derik...

Are you talking about the plastic bags that are used to transport fish, which allow air to pass through the plastic but not water? I think I read about them in one of my fish mag's quite some time ago.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I don't know of anywhere you can get them that isn't online. You should be able to get them in time if you pay for the faster shipping.

Try Kens Fish. Just be prepared for the brokerage fee if you have it shipped with UPS.

I've used them and they do work well, but so do normal plastic bags. If your fish are going to be shipped or in the bag for extended periods I would use the breather bags. If it's just for a short time, then save your money and just use a normal plastic bag.

Here's the description of what a "breather bag" is.

GENERAL INFORMATION ON KORDON'S BREATHING BAGS:
    The Kordon® Breathing Bag represents a new approach to the problems of shipping live fishes and other aquatic animals over long distances or for extended time periods. The product development staff at Kordon, teamed with plastics chemical engineers, have taken a technology first developed in space/military research and refined it to produce the bags being offered today. The Breathing Bag allows the transfer of simple and complex gas molecules through the plastic wall of the bag -- carbon dioxide and oxygen in particular, as well as other gases - providing a true "breathing" bag in place of a "barrier" bag. As long as there is a normal breathable atmosphere outside the Breathing Bag, the animals inside will not run out of oxygen. Carbon dioxide exits the bags at 4 times the rate oxygen enters the bags, thereby constantly purging the water of toxic carbon dioxide, and allowing oxygen to replace it in the water.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Well .. they look like the cats behind... Thank god for the military and aerospace industry. Most people don't realize it but a lot of the stuff we use every day has its roots in military and or aerospace industry.
    Rob

Thanks everyone. Maybe thats why I can't find them, I just assumed that they would be easy to get my hands on....thought that they would be a industry staple.

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    Most people don't realize it but a lot of the stuff we use every day has its roots in military and or aerospace industry.
    Yeah..., including guns!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Yeah..., including guns!!!!!!!
    Guns aren't the problem. It's the people behind them.

dazednconfused,

I agree. You would think that something that worked so well would be used by everyone, but I'm guessing the added cost is what's keeping them from going mainstream. They really aren't that much more expensive, and certainly cheaper than most of the fish that will go in them! Well worth the money if you ask me.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Come on guys .. Except for pistol whipping guns never hurt anyone .. It's the dam bullets ....
    Rob