Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customs??

Customs??

Anyone know a website that dictates the duties of importing products from the US?

Anyone have any experience buying from American websites?

Thx

Duncan
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Nice FISHY FISHY

:fish3:

Bump....

Anyone?

Duncan

Nice FISHY FISHY

wish I could help but I would actually like to know the same thing. I'm planning on ordering some clothes from the U.S. and the company can't even tell me about customs!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

ijo
    Depending on who ships the items you could be charge brokerage and then the taxes... you could use USPS to save on the brokerage but the shipping rate is a bit higher and takes longer than UPS. Hope this helps.

IJO

My only experience is with Fresh water fish. No big deal... All they want is to make sure that you pay your taxes on whatever it is your bringing in. Somethings are difficult for an individual to bring in ie plants, live rock etc.... All I did is when my fish came in I went to the airport got my weigh bills, invoice etc from the carrier(air Canada in my case) brought that paperwork over to customs(at the airport because you have a perishable product!! if not they will make you drive to Halifax to do the paperwork) & fill out the forms & pay your taxes!!! 20 minutes Max, unless they want to inspect your package... then it's only a short period of time also because it being a perishable product & being Halifax!! They give you more paperwork to bring back to the carrier to release the package!! Thats it.
    HTH
    Pierre

My experience with customs is hit and miss. I have ordered my glass coring bits from an American company twice now. The first time it package was picked off by customs and I paid the same price for that single bit as I did for 2 on the second order.
    Rob

I guess thats one argument to use a broker rather than being your own broker. Rob raises the point that if Canadian Customs want to inspect your package You have to pay for that service!!!! Most of the time depending on what you are shipping in & from who & where etc.. you won't have a problem. I've always acted on my own behalf & never got inspected yet, not that I'm worried, usually only a box or two of fish.. how much could that be EH!!??
    pierre

OK. . .Where is ReefVan when you need him? He has this totally figured this subject out! C'mon Van :clap2:

Thanks guys, im probably going to end up calling customs to figure this matter out.

Just trying to see if it worth my while or not.

Duncan

Nice FISHY FISHY

Hi Duncan, I have imported many goods from the US. Just about everything you could think of for this hobby. Fresh and marine. The cost for necessary US permits to import LR, coral, or live plants wouldn't make it worthwhile unless the order was worth $2000+US. These animals are regulated by CITES. Be sure Customs will give you a hard time without a broker. You would have to find a broker who's experienced with this stuff, and they would have to have an office in the US. If the order was fish, anemones, mushrooms it would have to be $1000+ to make it worthwhile. Again, use a US broker or the risk of the animals being held up at Customs would be very high.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast