Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Trouble re-formatting XP Pro.

I have 2 computers, both running XP Pro,Dlink 300+ modem and networked through a net comm router, use Norton Internet Security, ad aware and spy bot, and the Main computer was missing the "Help and Support" service and files, and other programs were starting to fail or not respond etc...
    Originally I tried the repair option and the it caused a "major system error" (the blue screen one)
    I've since tried to re-format it and keep coming across the same problem.
    The first attempt caused a "major system error" and I either keep getting this message when trying to run Windows XP Pro, or if I try to run the install XP Pro the computer wont recognize any of the DVD or CD drives, and keeps asking me to insert the CD into the drive and press enter, when I do this it asks again, and I've tried all the drives.
    I have an LG DVD dual layer ram burner, separate DVD reader and a lite-on CD reader burner in one.
    Why wont windows recognize any of the drives?
    How do I get it to boot XP and then re-install the o/s???
    I have all the software for all the drives but am not sure if I need to re-install them and for that matter I can't as windows can't start up..

help please!!!

Thanks for any assistance.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I tried unplugging the main computer and still the same.

Windows spends about an hour or more inspecting the hardware configuration, and when done gives me 2 options,
    to start windows or to to set up windows

If I choose the start windows option the keyboard stops working and if I choose the set up windows it it can't read the disc.

I've tried both of the XP Pro discs.

I was thinking about loading it from the second computer but can't get get the "thing" to start to do this.

I haven't had any hardware problems before.

There's no virus' or spy ware, I even went to Syantec to do "a scan of my computer" before re-installing to see if that was the problem and it was clean.

Arggggg....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Hi Tiffany,
    There is 2 things you can do first thing I think if you press F8 you may be able to go into safemode and from there you may find the problem.If you can start the P.C without the drives try doing a SYSTEM RESTORE (check your XP Manual)it under SYSTEM TOOLS in your programs start button on the bottom left of your screen set it to the best date it was working.
    Thats what I do when it goes buggy on me.

2nd option go into your Bios by tapping DEL when you start up your P.C you will see a blue screen may vary with other MB manufactures, in one of the tabs may be advanced chipset features goto boot sequence and select your CDROM as the only or first boot device.Press F10 and press Y, it will save changes to your BIOS.

Now place the XP CD in the CD player and restart your P.C
    It should go to boot from CDROM and just follow the instructions.

There probably is a member here who is more knowledgable than me at this and may know simpler tricks.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Thanks for the reply,
    I've done safe mode and it still checks for hardware configurations and if I try to start XP the keyboard wont work.

I went into the BIOS and to change it from booting from floppy but I don't recognize the other options as being any of my drives, DVD or CD...

I'll go and get the options to boot from and if you can help me that would be great.

I tried to start from last good configuration and the results the same.

I'm sure if booting from CD will change it either as it doesn't seem to recognize the drives..

BRB....

OK. I'm back.

I changed the sequence in the BIOS to CD ROM and it's inspecting the hardware again..(probably for another hour!!!)

Do think it will read the disc now??

Thanks again.

Will keep updating the latest trauma of Microsoft....

Hi Tiffany,

Quite possible, but in order to diagnose your problem I need to know what the bluescreen error was. From the sounds of it you're having a hardware issue, but it could be as simple as a configuration issue.

Usually for a blue screen, you'll have a STOP error message. I need to know that line. The rest isn't usually terribly important.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks Krugar,
    I can't remember the original "blue screen error" but it was along the lines of " the system has recovered/suffered a major system error. If this is the first time that you have seen this message then_________ if you have seen this message before then follow these steps_______"

It's still inspecting the hardware configuration an hour after setting it to boot from CD rather than floppy.

I haven't got the error message again as it never gets beyond the insert disc and press enter. As it doesn't recognize the drives.

The fourth option of booting is from a network. Can I somehow get it to do this?
    The router isn't recognizing the main computer either ATM, but there must be way.

I'm going to have to sign off soon, as it's nearly 2am here, please post any suggestions and I'll check them first thing in the morning, if I get any sleep!
    BTW, after networking the printer it stopped working and I was going to un-install the drivers and reinstall them, and thought that re-installing it would fix the problem. Could this be part of the problem?
    I agree that it most likely is a hardware issue,(simply from the messages and the time it's taking to inspect the hardware) and have no idea what to do, (other than thank my lucky stars that I set up a second one in the TV room due to all the Uni work that kept me locked up in the study for hours on end...)

Is there anything I can do to get the error message back?
    I got it when I tried the "repair my XP installation" option.

Thanks again.

Booting off the network isn't an option for you right now.

If the system's hanging on inspecting hardware, it's run into something it can't figure out & it's pretty much stuck.

Check your BIOS settings on the DVD & CDs, they should likely be set to AUTO. When the computer is booting up, does it see the drives? You'll likely have to hit pause or reboot a couple times to catch it.

It's almost impossible to be accurate without the stop error. That would have been a major clue. Anything I could suggest would be a guess.

If it doesn't finish it's hardware detection, you either have a serious config issue or more likely the hardware it's stuck on just went south & needs replacing.

Do you have a techie friend that could pop by & have a look? Trouble shooting via e-mail without extact error messages is more of an art than a science

Cheers!

If you want to "re-format" the local drive you will need to do it from a DOS screen. I don't know about XP PRO but I have started my XP standard system using a WIN 98 start disc. before you do that you MUST convert the filing system from NTFS to FAT 32. Once that's done and the the machine is started in DOS using the WIN 98 start disc I reformat at the DOS command prompt. This is if you want to COMPLETELY loose EVERYTHING you have on that drive and start from scratch with a brand new WIN XP install. There may be a shorter or easier way to reformat the drive ... this is just what works for me.
    Rob

You shouldn't have to do that when re-installing any NT varient (2K or XP). During the set up you can create & delete partitions.

If you delete the partition, the installation will format it for you. (Edit: you will need to create a new partition first)

Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast