Who has or has kept cold salt water tank?

Just curious if anybody has or has kept a cold salterwater tanks?There are some interesting species in there...not as colourful as tropical salt but still very nice...

There is a aquarium in Nb Who has a whole lot of species from the atlantic...
    Derik...

WE kept a small one with some green crabs and a local red starfish. My son kept it when he was 8. We just used an aquaclear filter and no heater or lights. THe crab grew to adult size and so did the starfish and then he released them back to the wild in the spring. Actually - we really enjoyed that simple tank. THe crab would come out and dance for her dinner. We fed her cracked mussles from the shore. THen when she was done the starfsih would suck out whatever was left of the mussle. Too cute!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Very nice gail!!!Any particular experience and tips as for the water quality and temp?
    Derik...

My next door neighbor used to keep a 600 gallon COLD Saltwater setup,built into his wall. He was a professional scuba diver and teacher. He had Wolf els, tons of crabs and star fish,even lobster,and flounder. When things got to big we would take them back out to the bay of fundy and release them. Then we would catch more,and do the same.He even had Seaweed in the tank. His setup was awesome. It wasn't a problem keeping anything alive. His water was the same temperture as the bay. He used the unit from a freezer to keep the water the same as the bay. He would do a 100 gallon water change every month, as that was not a problem. We would pump the water from the bay into barrels on his diving boat. He even had rock from the bay also that we used to break off with a hammer and chisel. we were doing 3-5 double tanks of air a week in dives in the summer. Scallops had them by the hundreds I will contact him when i get a chance and see if i can scan some of the pictures we took.
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

That would be awsome MArcel...i dont imagine to set one up would cost alot of money since you can get everything youself...
    Derik...

Yeah your right there his setup was next to nothing except for having his tank built. and of coarse gas for the truck and boat.... He was setup professionaly he even filled air tanks for people.I remember when i first moved next to him in Rothesay,and i seen his tank,thats what got me into diving. I took my lessons from him,actually my whole family did except mom,as she dont swim. Weird as we had a 40 by 20 pool My first time out on his boat... That got me hooked... after i seen the stuff they were bringing up from the bay. I had to have my diving license. witch i have now for 20 odd years. Night dives are the best,thats when u see a ton of life... People would be amazed whats just in our bay. Oh what was really cool was watching the wolf els eat.... he had one that was 5 feet and 8 inches round... very nasty.... I said to his son one winter,lets go down to the river,and do a few ICE dives. we would then catch smelt and hake and feed them the the els... That was real cool to see.... I've even seen us get attacked by wolf els in there matting season... i think is October -november... Man i could talk about this experince for hours
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

Pink Floyd

go ahead...its interesting..ive got time
    Derik...

We used to have alot of fun doing ice dives at night.... People would be in there fishing huts on the river. We would drive out about 300-400 yards from the huts... Drill our hole and dive in them we would head toward the huts then we would freak the people out, sometimes comming right up into there huts or most times cut there lines Hahahahahahahahaa or we would yank on there line and they would think they got a huge hake it was a blast. night dives are pretty freaky,as u go in one hole and have to come out the same one... so setting your compass right....is a given,no room for error... my friends would say to us u guys are nuts.

Another thing we used to do was at night put the boat in the water... dive down about 60 feet.... thats when the lobsters are out big time at night..... then we would tie fishing line to them.. head back to the boat...have everything loaded upand ready to go..... then we would just pull in the lobster if we seen any ranger or fishery dudes we would just let the line go

I seen i guy drown one time also... well i was about 1/4 mile from him diving in the same area.... He got all caught up in a fishing weir.... and pannicked...took out his knife and started cutting...and cut his air line.... instead of just taking off his tanks,and untangling the tanks.... and putting them back on.... all the belts are same as seatbelt straps...

I've been down 90 feet of water before and ran out of air...thank god my buddy had about 300 pounds left in his tank,or i might not be here typing this

I've also seen us go in at greens point,by deer island frerry. only down about 60 feet. the tide started to come in. the current was so strong that we couldn't come to the top of the water.... our compasses were freaking out... when we got finally to the top of the water we were about 6 miles from where we started.. that was really freaky.....
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

Pink Floyd