Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outlook Express Problem

As of lately links to web sites that are included with any mail I receive in Outlook express don't work. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted to correct this. These links always worked in the past.
    Rob

Mel
    Are links underlined or blue in your email? What happens when you click on them?

Yes links are still underlined in blue and have blue text. My cursor still turns into a hand when I try to use the links but nothing happens. Same thing is happening with links that are a picture like in mail from anti virus company's etc. And of course being January I am now receiving the offers to buy or upgrade my software at good savings. With the text links I can copy / paste them into my browser address box to go to the sites but that dose not work with the picture links.
    Rob

Mel
    Hmmm.. I am unaware of a setting in Outlook or Outlook Express that would disallow opening a browser window when a link is clicked on in an email. I do know there's settings for disallowing attachments and disallowing automatic download of non text-based content in emails, but no link restrictions. Also try a right click on the link to see what options are available. That may give you the ability to "copy shortcut" even a link in a pic.

I'm pretty sure you are using HTML formatting as well. If you use plain text the links won't be "clickable" but then again, they wouldn't be blue either.

I assume your anti-virus has a plugin for Outlook Express. I would suggest disabling or removing this plugin or possibly shutting down the AV for a test. Don't forget to restart your mail client after removing the plugin.

All else fails.. google it!

Well .. oddly enough if I forward my mail to my outlook and click on the links I get a search for browser to use file box and can select the EXE file for IE6 and the links will work. In outlook express that is not the case. I seem to be only able to copy/paste text links but not picture links. I have a sneaking feeling that this has something to do with when I un-installed the fire fox browser. OH same issue when I disable my AV and or Firewall and allow all cookies.
    Rob

Cool

just save all your addresses and download the newer vrsion of OUTLOOK EXPRESS. I did

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    Well .. oddly enough if I forward my mail to my outlook and click on the links I get a search for browser to use file box and can select the EXE file for IE6 and the links will work. In outlook express that is not the case. I seem to be only able to copy/paste text links but not picture links. I have a sneaking feeling that this has something to do with when I un-installed the fire fox browser.
    Rob
    Check your .html file association in windows and make sure its set to open html content with IE6, when you removed FireFox, maybe windows left html associated with nothing or an old path to firefox which is why your outlook was asking you which browser to open with.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

ActiveIE

Internet Explorer 5 Tips and Tricks

Hyperlinks Don't Work In Outlook Express

After uninstalling another web browser such as Netscape, you may find that clicking a link in Outlook Express may not work if the removed program is still considered to be your default browser. Start Internet Explorer, goto View, Internet Options and select the Programs tab. Make sure the message "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" is checked. If not, then check it! Press Okay and close Internet Explorer.

If this doesn't apply to you, try following the steps at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q177045 (Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Don't Start Browser).

Note: Tip originally came from IE Info Center

Thanks CMAN .. that's got it.
    Rob

Mel
    Damn.. I WANTED TO ANSWER THAT!.. jk folks.

It's good to see Rob getting answers as well as supplying advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast