Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipes

Pipes

Hello group!

I am uncertain where to post this question, so I will give it a try here. :hammerhea

I am wondering where I could purchase 2" pipe for my tank system. I only require about 2 ft. to connect the two tidepool to the return sump. The store where I purchased all my fittings only sell it by 10ft unit. That's +30$ for 2 ft of pipe. mfg2:

So, my question is: Is there any place in Ottawa where I can/could purchase 2 ft of pipe (PVC) by short lenght?

Thanks for your time and info. :wave:
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Call PVC plus. Some times they have balances and other short pieces that they will sell you. Otherwise .. use ABC and transition adhesive.
    Rob

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    Call PVC plus. Some times they have balances and other short pieces that they will sell you. Otherwise .. use ABC and transition adhesive.
    Rob
    Thanks for the info, Rob. Waht would be ABC and transition adhesive? I have noidea what they would be. I'm a real door knob with this stuff. :hammerhea I'm learning all kinds of new things as the days/weeks go by. Never thought I would be going through such a learning curve for this hobby. :lol:

Thanks,
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

TYPE O ABS use ABS .. the black stuff. Transition adhesive is GLUE that will join ABS to PVC
    Rob

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    TYPE O ABS use ABS .. the black stuff. Transition adhesive is GLUE that will join ABS to PVC
    Rob
    Thanks for the info, Rob. Interesting. So, if I understand this correctly, I "could" use the 2" balck pipe available at HD to link my 3 containers together? I thought that the black stuff was not suitable for marine aquarium usage. I must have misread information then. :banghead:

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

ABS the black stuff is non pressure pipe(drainage and vent only)..... PVC the greyish to white stuff is drainage and pressure..... both can be bought at HD assuming you mean Home Depot.... if it's too expensive to buy the whole length of pipe at HD try calling a plumbing outfit i'm sure they might sell ya 2 feet for pretty cheap

ABS is totally safe. It can be used basically in all plumbing of the tank.

Kool! The reason I was trying to get 2" PVC pipe was because all the elbows, fittings and reducers are made with PVC sched 40 and/or sched 80. From a chemical point of view, I guess I can join the two different types of pipe with the product that OSD has suggested. The black piping will be in a non pressurized usage. It will be used in a gravity flow only. Home Depot (HD) does sell short lenghts of black pipes, 3 or 4 feet long. I'm sure the price will be much less than the 3$/foot this outfit wanted for their 10 feet lenght.

So, I guess I'm off to the races this week-end! :dance:

Thanks guys!

:bananadan
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Try a bathroom place they usually sell it by the foot
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

so can we use the black stuff on plumbing like returns and overflows ???
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast