Laptop shuts down by itself???

ANy one out there who had this problem....My laptop shuts down by it sellf any time it wants......then to power it up i have to uplug the ac adapter and start it by the batterie......then it can take from 2 mins to 2 hrs before it does it again......dell wants me to send my comp in because my waranty is depot warranty and I am leaving for a month for work monday it willl never have time to make it before i leave.....maybe a virus?I have norton 2004....any ideas?
    Derik...

If the machine will stay on long enough:
    1. Disable power mgmt in the control pannel (set to always on)
    2. Check the RPC service and see if its been changed to
    restart the PC on error (virus)
    3. Start in safe mode and do a full scan

Any of these help?

in system failure you mean?I did that and so far so good...thanks

Derik
    Derik...

Get good ol' Vince to do a check on it!!!

Unless it is a virus, it could be a hardware problem. I had a similar problem with my previous motherboard. It turned to be that my CPU was defective and over heating.
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

I think I got alot out of vince last week with the IIS settings for my aquacontroller..i dont want to overdo my welcome ehehe...but Dell said they would take it in..but i need it for the next month so if all fails i will send it back to dell
    Derik...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    hehehe...
    Derik don't worry, you didn't overdo your welcome.
    Xerces suggestions are right on.
    Built-in powermanagement is quite often the culprit in these situations. This happens with outdated BIOS versions as well. You may wanna check on DELL's site for a BIOS update.

Won't be able to help much more than that though since I'm hopping on an airplane in the next few hours...

Well what i did i put the laptop on and angle for the fan to be able to cool down the computer easier and its been on since last night like that and nothing happen..i guess the computer was overheating...the dell5100 is very hot...you put it on your lap and your legs are burning at some times.....I will still send it at dell anyways as they want to change the motherboard...i will get a new motherboard and a new screen as there is a few pixels burnt..the computer is only 8 months old.....I just was kind of pissed that this happend a few days before i left for a contract up north and i couldnt watch dvds ahahhah..i brign about 70-80 dvd's with me and watch a few everyday to kill time..cause at -40.....-50 you dont want to go and play outside for nothing except works....Any how thanks you guys
    Derik...