Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Capturing Video From MiniDV to Computer.

Hello everyone..

So today we went and picked up a Samsung SCD103 MiniDV Camcorder today, and we ended up getting this one as it came with everything that we where told we needed, ( Cables and software ) well get it home today and start playing with it.. i have found out that i can't Capture the Video to our Laptop ( Via USB Port) well we can but its totally CRAP quality, We went with this camera as we where planning on Filling up the Single Tape go back to our room ( as we are going to Mexico ) and then just burn it directly from the Cam to the DVD burner on our Laptop.. But it seems we can not do this!!

The camera does have a Firewire port on it.. so i was thinking picking up a Firewire card for our laptop.. Does anyone have experience with this? Will i be able to do what i want.. Record the hour on the tape.. Go back to the room hook it up and direct copy it to a DVD disk, Then just rewind the tape and go out for more fun???

ANd if so.. What Software do you recommend.? I was looking at this product here..

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/USB/pcmcia-1394-2.htm

Thanks in Advance!

Michael.

i tried all that , I ended up just giving up and transfer it to old fashioned vhs tape, good luck !
    What do you call a fish with no eyes?
    Fsh!

Well Giving up for me is not an Option.. lol, I mean if i where to transfer to a VHS i could have bought the $200 camera instead of the $500..

anyone eles have experience?

I would bring it back and get one that really suits your needs..
    Derik...

oh this one suites my needs,

I have found out that infact, the USB is only intended to transfer the still Photos and the MPEG Clips the camera can do.. To transfer the DV Video from the camera i need to go with the Firewire connection..

So that is what im going to head out tomorrow and get, I Card for my Laptop with Firewire cable.. From what i have read online and heard from a couple of people, this is the only way to do it correctly.

Just wondering out htere if anyone uses a Capture software that they would recommend ?

Michael

I transfer by Firewire on my canon mini DV I use the Firewire card software "SONIC MY DVD "which is great I have already burnt VCD,DVD`s on my Laptop of my tank and it does it well.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

I'm a little surprised that the USB is not used to send the DV info. If the USB is USB 2 then it is about as fast as Firewire. USB 1 is much slower though (no DV with USB 1). BTW, I have a Sony DV camera, firewire link and a McIntosh computer. Everything is actually pretty old (about 6 years old). I used to Adobe Premiere but it was designed for analog video. It does do DV though. It's a little complicated but you can do a lot. Probably a more recent version is more DV friendly. I also use Mac iMovie 2.0 with is simplicity itself but more limited in features. I have never tried to transfert to DVD though. I think Toast and Imovie can do this though.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

should have went back to the store you bought it from to get a deal on a fire wire cable ...maybe even the card if they sell that.... also the store person should have told you that it needed a firewire to transfer.... if they didn't i would take it back and buy from a store that has that same cam and is willing to wheel and deal on the firewire and card..... but thats just me ... i have walked out of stores if the sales person is not knowledgable on the products or is just a dork hahaha

Yea i could not complain, I did some wheeling and dealing to get the camera.. Got $75 off the cost of the camrea, From finding other Add's online.. real Pain in the ass..lol,

But at the same time, I knew they where not knowledgable about the product.. And i knew you had the option to use Firewire, But i read the box and its said " Easy connection to your computer through USB" So i assumed that was good enough.

So the box did not lie i mean you can Capture through the USB but it comes out really Horrible.. Where am i wrong in thinking..

THat connecting throught Firewire.. I should be able to capture to my Computer and then put on a DVD the same Qulity that i would see by connecting the Camera drieclty to the Tv ????

THanks
    Michael.

depends on how the dvd is made you might find with laptop comps that the video card isn't always the best... on my stand alone desk top here that i type on the motherboard has a firewire connection on it already..... for sofeware i would use the boxed stuff play around if not user friendly to you then look on-line for others... most are readily alvailable for download at a cost or ... well we wont get into that hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast