Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Smuggling Live Rock...

Has anyone tried to smuggle a box of live rock from the states to Canada? Is it possible if it is well-packed? If so, what did you declare at the custom?

Gary

Well you certianly didn't declare anything if you made it across the border, the only way you could get it across was to hide it in your car and hope they don't look, i've brought fish and corals across and just not told them i had anything
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I believe that transporting rock across the border falls under CITES. If you are caught, you risk a max $10000 fine, confiscation of your car (I think) and possibly jail time. That may just be the punishment for not declaring. The question is: Is the risk of getting caught worth the minor savings? And, is it a savings at all (exchange rate, etc)?

Re: Smuggling Live Rock...

Originally posted by mtchu
    Has anyone tried to smuggle a box of live rock from the states to Canada? Is it possible if it is well-packed? If so, what did you declare at the custom?

Gary
    If your smuggling it you don't declare it or even claim to know you got it ??? Don't bother unless you like BARS and BIG BIG fines
    Rob

And posting in an open forum that you've actually done this may not be a wise thing.....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

yea i work for customs canada so you are busted,

lol would someone please show me someone who has recieved a 10 000 fine for bringing live rock across the border, everyone has these horror stories, but honestly i brought corals from canada to the states, and the guy opened the cooler and looked in , i told them what it was and he said it was fine, the exageration gets to be a little too much

They will just tell you to leave it behind or you can't enter canada, they aren't going to prosecute their own citizens for trying to bring a whole load of live rock across, the guy that owns the local pet center gets all his live goods shipped to calais then picks them up and drives them across, he does it for a ton of freshwater and saltwater fish and live rock
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

I just read a story about a guy who illegally harvested rock from the caribean, which is an area that is prohibited to harvest live rock from and he smuggled a shipment of live rock into the US and was fined 500$ for breaking 2 laws, i know people who cross the border to buy live rock when people are tearing down their tanks on the other side of the border and they've never had a hard time, they just tell the customs officers they are buying rock from a friend who is getting out of the hobby, i've been reading the CITEs website for the last few hours and it seems primarily aimed at illegal harvesting of goods, and smuggling of ILLEGAL goods or ILLEGALLY HARVESTED goods, i can't seem to find info on buying legally acquired goods, if someone has the url i'd like to read it
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Anything living (live rock, corals, fish) is all completely illegal to bring into Canada without a permit. Whether it is shipped or driven in a car. But I believe a $500 fine and the loss of the merchandise would be a reasonable punishment. The 10K fine and jail time is for transporting more important things, such as drugs.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

last winter i came home from a cuban vacation with about 25 lbs of nice rock let it dry up in the sun for a day or two before leaving cuba. canadian customs only asked if i picked it up on the beach told them yes and they let me go cured the rock and to my surprize it still had life on it at the time i did not even think about fines from customs. (think it was my lucky day)
    best to check with customs before you move any corals and rock over the border

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast