Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood?

Hardwood?

Not completely off topic, but it's been suggested that it doesn't make much sence to fill the 90G tank on the flooring we've needed to replace for a dog's age. Only to tear it down in a year to change the flooring.

I have to admit there's some logic there so I'm trying to find a good, inexpensive supplier of hardwood flooring in the Ottawa or Gatineau or reasonable driving distance to there.

I've been told a gazillion times that if I can do ceramic tile that hard wood shouldn't be a challenge for me so I'm thinking of doing the work myself.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Home Depot has good prices on hardwood flooring. My husband and I did our living/dining room one Canada Day. It's not hard, just time consuming. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can. Word of advice, get a nail gun or something. The poor guy used a hammer and it took 4 times as long as his brother's fllor (same size, same wood, different tools).

There is a combination hammer nailer for hardwood (might shoot staples instead of nails). You hit it with a mallet and it sets the wood and sends a nail.

If you buy prefinished hardwood, you lay it out, nail it down and are done.

Of course you have to prep the floor first by screwing it down solid and levelling it out first.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

That's the doohickey my husband used!! His brother used a nail gun and it went much, much faster. then again, I wasn't helping his brother...that could be the reason for the speedy floors

liv
    ya.. but since your already in hull.. go to reno.. they have the best prices on hardwood ( i found ) in the region.
    rent a hardwood hammer and a compressor if you need one at that rentalex place on st-raymond.. close to that pawn store.
    I think it cost me 35$ a day for the hammer thingy. instead of buying the same one for 600$. worked great.
    just make sure you do not base yourself on your walls ( as they might have a slight round figure if they are long.. start square and continue this way.. reajust if needed on the way and gradually.. it will be a brease.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Any opinions about true hardwood versus wood laminate flooring?
    Nick

Just a personal preference after looking at the way thin laminates: I don't like them.

I can't actually back that up with anything, since they're cheaper, easier to look after, scratch and dent resistant, and supposedly easier to install.

But IMHO using a laminate instead of the real stuff is along the same lines as plastic plants in a reef tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

There are different grades of laminate.

There are ones with a real wood veneer on a composite base. These would be my second choice. Real whole hardwood is my first choice, but, is naturally the most expensive.

The totally composite with "pictures" of wood on the top are cheap, but, the last option for me.

Of course, I am spending your money, so, nothing but the best will do. :-D
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hardwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, harwood, hardwood, hardwood, harwood
    Better quality, durablity, asthetics.

I've put down many hundred feet of both laminate and hardwood, definately go hardwood. I tend to like the natural types as they have 'character' and tend to be cheaper.

Make sure you get the nailer that uses the compressor, it's much easier (I have used both), and both of them require the use of a rubber mallet (included in rental) to 'set' the wood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast