Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Computer hardware help please

OK hardware people ...
    before I turned my computer off last night it was working fine. This morning when I turned it on only the fans were working, no CD ROM or HD activity. Anyway I took the side off for a quick look to see if both fans were running (they are)and noticed a yellow light blinking on the motherboard??? Never seen this in the past. I am guessing that this MEANS something to people who know hardware.
    Any input would be helpful.
    Details if needed:
    P4 (HT) @ 3.1 GIGs 800 front side bus
    1 GIG of PCI 3200 DDR Ram on 2 sticks
    2 HD
    1 CD burner
    1 DVD burner
    256 DDR Vid card
    This yellow light is blinking beside the RAM slots
    Attempts to reboot have been useless.

Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    What brand motherboard is it?
    Do you have the manual to the motherboard?
    The blinking LED is an error code. Count the blinks and check if there's a reference to it in your manual.

If you don't have the manual, or any indication as to the relevance of the number of blinks, then try to remove one "stick" of memory, and boot. If no go, try the other stick of memory.

Check to make sure that all the cards (ie: video card) are properly seated in their slots as well.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

OK I will do that Vince. I have the motherboard manual on that computer :-( it is a PDF file.
    Rob

You should be able to read the MB manufacturers code/type right off the board...

Cool

I'm with you OSD, I use a hammer

Hey if your computer is bjorked, how are you posting?

Anyway if you post the make of the motherboard I'd be happy to look it up for you.

It sounds like a hardware error, but this could be as simple as something's come unseated. As Vince suggested make sure all the cards are snug in thier sockets, esp. the video & network cards.

Does the system beep at all? If it does count those too, they're also error codes that might help out.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Krugar ... I have 3 computers in the house
    OK I got out the magnifying glass and it is in deed the RAM LED that is blinking. It is just blinking rapidly. No discernible code or rhythm to the blinks. I took out both sticks of ram and try ed a different know to be good stick of RAM in both slots with no change. If it is not the RAM is it the MOM board?
    Rob

Possibly, but the trick to solving computer problems is simply being methodical.

If known good RAM doesn't solve the problem move to something else you can test.

Did you try reseating all the cards?

If that didn't solve anything, try removing everything but the video card and unplug everything but your main hard drive.

If that works the problem is either one of the cards or your power supply isn't putting out as much as it used to.

Cheers!

OK ... I understand but if it is the RAM LED (or at least it says RAM LED right beside the light) dose that not mean it is a RAM related issue?
    Rob

No.

A unknown blinking light on the RAM only suggests the RAM's not getting something it expects or the controller is feeding it something it didn't understand.

Your system doesn't appear to be posting, so everything in there is un-initilaized and all bets are off.

You could have a ram problem or the part of the MOBO that controls it could be shot, but it's just as likely that something else has prevented your system from booting & the RAM is the only thing able to complain.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast