Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lane markings on Ontario roads

My son's just turned 16 so we're getting into traffic lessons :-(

Lanes on roads are divided by yellow lines, either solid or broken. Sometimes, traffic flowing in different directions is divided by double sold lines (meaning no-one can pass). But, sometimes there is one a single solid line. This is not listed in my copy of the Driver's Handbook. I always thought it was used mainly on rural roads and meant you could pass slower traffic but needed to apply special care.

Does anyone have any 'real' information about the meaning of a single solid yellow line?

Thanks.
    Nick

liv
    I always thaught it meant the same as double solid.. i think those single lines as for smaller roads.. possibly indicating something to truckers... i see them all the time in roads leading and in parks.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Yeah, I'm with Liv on this one. Since I started to drive (eons ago) that's what it meant. Continuous line == No passing.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

ANY solid line that divides traffic moving in different directions = NO PASSING
    Rob

OH .. the double solid lines are used on sections where passing will become allowable and where passing is allowed one of the double lines will become broken on the side who has the passing right of way when SAFE to do so.
    Rob

The double lines (solid or broken) are clear. The only confusion was over the single solid line. Thanks.
    Nick

You guys are all wrong

Solid lines do not mean NO PASSING, they simply mean do not pass unless absolutely necessary.

Single or double solid lines mean the same thing, pass with extreme caution.

Hope that helps.
    Matt

ijo
    I think you’re incorrect on this one aumontmatthew... the reason for these single and double solid lines are to protect you from getting into an accident. Passing in these conditions is not safe(turns, cars in the other lane are hidden by a hill, etc etc) and anything you do that is deemed unsafe while driving will get you in trouble(speeding, running red lights, not wearing your seatbelt, etc etc)

Its like saying a red light does not mean you have to stop... it just means you should unless you find it absolutely necessary not to.

IJO

Re: You guys are all wrong

Originally posted by aumontmatthew
    Solid lines do not mean NO PASSING, they simply mean do not pass unless absolutely necessary.

Single or double solid lines mean the same thing, pass with extreme caution.

Hope that helps.
    Matt
    Hope your not driving around in my neck of the woods. What your saying is no different then saying it's OK to go the wrong way on a one way street as long as no ones coming at the time ???
    Rob

in quebec there is no lines
    but in ONT, single solid lines on city streets you can pass if you have to to the left [stalled car or bus]
    but double lines are for faster roads and highways.for instance,sppedways like that queens way have single lines,there just lane markers.
    double lines are different and reserved for HIGHWAYS and speed ways, you cannot pass on double solid lines,only if you have a broken line on your side.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast