Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Electricians - Another Question

Can you tell by looking at the attached pic if a pony box will be required to add 15 amps for air conditioning. The history is that the electric hot water tank was replaced with a oil burning tank that now uses only 15 amps.
    a total of 4 - 15 amp circuits have been added over the years for the basement and garage.
    Is it normal to have 60 amps for a dryer and 80 for a stove?
    If you "save" the pic to your desktop you can increase it to see the current layout better.
    OH ... the guy who services my furnace was telling me that it is more cost effective in the long run to put in a higher rated fuse box then to put in a pony box.
    Thanks in advance
    Rob

Box Label

Box Label

I would run a 15 amp line from that....but that's me, i'm not an electrician. 15 seems low tho for an a/c unit.
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Spots 11,12, 23 and 24 are available. You can add a 15 or dedicated 20 amp for the air conditioner.

Since you have 4 spots available, you don't need a pony panel. It won't buy you any more total current so, unless you are close to browning out now, you should have no trouble.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

you can add breakers in that box no problem,i presume you heat the house with oil? your amperage main fuse or breaker is 125 amp?your stove takes only 40a and dryer 30 a

OK ... if the Dryer and stove require those lower amperages why are such large fuses currently in place? The house is about 35 years old and to date there have been NO shortages of power.
    Rob

just because theres no breakers in those empty spots doesn't mean you can add breakers in there. it goes by total amperage available. lots of times breakers are doubled up inside the panel. chances are you are close to max but I would get an electrician in and honestly, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade that panel. its very old. I'm kinda in the same boat but my panel is a little newer and I actually have free breakers. I will be changing the panel in the distant future to add a hottub but will need to increase house amperage hence total new setup.

Hi OSD,

I am an electrician.

First off your dryer isn't 60 it is 30amp
    2 pole 240VAC service.

Same with the stove it is 40amp
    2 pole breaker 240VAC service. NOT 80amps.

What else would you like to know?

Lou

first of all what the name plate on your panel says does not mean you have 125 amps available....there are panels that are rated 200 amps and the wiring is good only for 150 ...check your main breaker or your fuse to see what amperage is really available ...also to make a note... breakers are never loaded to there max. amount ...the breaker is sized for the wire size...my opion is to take an amprobe and measure the amount of current is being consume on the average...the amperage on your feeder line or main line your are problely pulling around 25 amps

Oh ya,

Looks like you have 4 spots left to add some 15s

Yes a breaker is never loaded to 100% unless it is a purley resistive load section 18 of the code, like base board heaters.

80% loading is the rule hence a 15amp cicuit usually consists of a combination of receptacles and lighting loads through out the house adding up to twelve.

Frank suggestion to use an amp probe also known as a clamp on meter is a good one and will help you determine the overall load on the main service and or individual circuits.

Cheers
    Lou

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast