Anyone have a fw planted?

Just curious if anyone has a fw planted set-up. Pls list what you're stocking it with and how you're running it.

I just tore mine down in March to sell the 75 Gallon tank & make room for a 90 Gallon reef.

It was a java fern, java moss, discus tank.

I had a huge algea problem in it at the end though, I was experimenting with CO2 and fertilizers & managed to turn the entire tank black.

Waaaaay too much plant food.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

That's too bad. We set up a 10gal for the girls on Easter weekend and it's doing super. I'm running a CO2 DIY thing Hagen put out and it works great.

The java ferns are going insane as well as the vals (which were labeled crypto ) we also have another crypto balasae, java moss, hydro polysperma and hornwort.

Last week we got a guppy surprise 32 BABIES I've had guppies before but they never spawned OH BOY it's all or nothing :

I've recently started to see some BBA growing but I'm going to try and see what double or triple dosing Flourish Excell does for it. Apparently it works well so we'll see how it goes.

I'm doing some mods to the goldfish tank this weekend to try and achieve the slate wall in this link (bottom page). Wish me luck

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/slatewall.html

lol I'd knocked it back down to green before I sold it.

The tank is near a south facing window & it gets a lot of natural light. So I never really fertalized. The plants did okay, but I decided to go all out.

C02 + full dose of fertalizer = thick black cyno looking algae covering just about everything. I was shocked how fast it grew.

But that tank has had everything from Oscars to discus in it & the guy I sold it too is using it for a reef

I kinda miss that tank, it was my first "big" tank & being just the other side of a student I had to eat a lot of KD to pay for it.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Krugar
    I had to eat a lot of KD to pay for it.

Cheers!
    HEY DON'T SLAM KD lol

Oh that it was real KD. That was for rich people. I'm talking the no name stuff

I remeber a good week meant hot dogs and REAL KD

Cheers!

Originally posted by Krugar
    Oh that it was real KD. That was for rich people. I'm talking the no name stuff

I remeber a good week meant hot dogs and REAL KD

Cheers!
    My mother is the most terrible cook. REAL KD would have been a treat compared to her cooking uke3: lol

Wow, back on off topic : - I'm finding out FW was a joke compared to SW. Get on to the water changes, don't over feed and you are all set in FW. I fertilize (don't have the brand here) once in a while the capful that it calls for. I've been meaning to pick up a new NO blub for a while - I think it is more 5 years old. I vaccuum & clean filter (good ol aqua-clear)media every couple months. I've been meaning to put a pic up on my website of it (haven't gotten round2it). Good Luck on the slate wall - very nice look!
    Ron N

I was screwing around to see what would happen if... I think part of it was what happens if I ignore the tank.

I agree FW is less challenging that SW, it's just suddenly hard to give a crap about your FW tank once you've been infected by the reef bug.

Cheers!

They aren't what reefs are but there is NO way I was putting a 10gal nano in their room and this was a *new* responsibility for them.