Talking Helpful hints & secrets re: everything/anything

OK so I'm borrrrrredddd and thought I'd share some knowledge and see if others will share theirs as well.

If you have aphids in your plants or garden FORGET the pesticides or soap & water solutions(been there done that). I have a 15-18+ft weeping fig tree that had an infestation when I first bought it. I saw this solution on a healthy gardening show and it works.

Take a big clove of garlic break it apart and put cloves all over, I strung it on the branches and all over. The tree was NOT even close to what it is now but still large so I had to use a lot of garlic. Within a couple of weeks no more aphids and never had another aphid problem again. Aphids hate garlic apparently

OK I'm looking for a really good chinese fried rice recipe

I've had to battle an aphid or three on my trees indoors.

Malathon works quite well

But in it's absence, I've discovered I really don't mind lady bugs in the house that much. They dissapear shortly after the aphids do.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Oh don't spray the malathon indoors. Bad idea.

Very much like "So I was thinking... I have TWO kidneys..."

Cheers!

That's the thing with chems, I have 2 small kids and chems don't mix well. I did the chem thing once and it didn't do a thing.

I love lady bugs but I only get tons of them in the fall

I tried the soap and water and weeping figs are too sensitive to the touch and I lots tons of leaves and it didn't work.

The garlic also works if you get them in your garden (outside) I find that in the summer lady bugs are too busy doing other stuff to take care of aphids

I work with ficus all the time for bonsai. The weeping fig is a ficus benjamina.

They drop their leaves if you look at them funny. Moving them a couple inches can cause them to drop all their leaves & grow new ones.

There are insecticidal soaps you can use on them though, the trick is to get them off after an hour.

Aphids are a pain in the arse inside because there's nothing to eat them. Their primary defense is that they're born pregnent.

So this means you have to treat an infected plant several times, including under the leaves, the trunk of the tree, and even the top of the soil.

Whenever I do it I wash the tree in the shower. This will knock off a lot of the bugs and send them down the drain. (There's a bit of an art to doing it without washing out all your soil. It's just pratice though.)

Then they get the insecticidal soap, and sit for an hour.

Then they get washed off again.

Depending on the infestation levels I've done this daily on trees for a week & then weekly until I've not seen any new bugs.

Scale is another problem. I end up picking those off bonsai with tweezers. Beer & music is all I can suggest to help with that one

Oh & yellow sticky tape is a good thing if you're doing any indoor gardening. It won't get everything, but it does keep the stupid bugs from reproducing.

Oh & I also have small kids. If I have to spray I do it outside & wash the tree after an hour before it comes back in.

Cheers!

Yes it's a ficus benjamina and my plant book says they rarely grow taller than 8ft yeah good thing I have lots of room cause it must be close to 18ft and growing

Did the wash and rinse NEVER again. Use garlic and they'll be gone simple, hassle-free and best of all FAST

Errrr gotta chicken fried rice recipe I have lots of tasty recipes to share as well, macaroni / potato salades, the KFC coleslaw ........

I do everything to taste but chicken fried rice is:

2-3 eggs
    frying oil
    chicken strips (maybe 4 breasts)
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 large onion
    crushed garlic cloves to taste
    3- 4 cups cooked rice
    a bunch of green onions
    soy sauce to taste

Green oinion stalks to garnish.

The eggs are the only tricky bit, mix them and I sometimes add bit of water if they're not mixing well. Then fry them kinda like an omlette & set aside until they cool enough to chop them.

It's a stir fry so cook the chicken, then add the onions & garlic. Once they've softened (don't carmelize them) uncermoniosly dump everything else in but the sesame seed oil & eggs.

Add the eggs & mix until they're rewarmed.

Mix in the sesame seed oil just before removing from the heat. Too much heat will destroy this oil.

Anyway that's how I make chicken fried rice. I'm not big on measuring though

Cheers!

The biggest secret is to use 1 day old rice. Freshly cooked rice is actually a bit too soft to stir fry properly especially when all your other ingredients will add water to the creation. And please don't use Uncle Ben's. That's not rice, it's some sort of abomination.
    George

Doesn't everyone have a rice steamer?

Cheers!

Wow men that cook cool thx for the recipe & hints