Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canus Plastics

Thumbs up Canus Plastics

do not go there, do not buy anything from these guys! they ripped me off big time and won't come clean. I brought my 6 foot skimmer into them to be welded because it was leaking. the person [ DONALD] called me and said it was ready so I picked it up. It leaked worse than before!!! I paid $90 for this shitty work. I phoned them right away and he told me that I never asked for it to be water tested!!! can you believe that. he even told me he builds skimmers but he didn't test to see if it still leaked. even the main boss FRED! only offered me $25 for my troubles. they told me I should bring it back in??? why??? I can't under stand why he didn't put 1/2 gallon of water just up to the seam to see if it leaked. there the worst and thats the last time I ever go there. I'm so mad right now!!!!!!!! I might even have to buy a new skimmer which I can't afford. do me a favour, go to PVC PLUS and they'll treat you way better.

ohh, just wanted to add, I told him that a lot of us reefers go there and I would post this here, he said he didn't care one way or another. just goes to show you!

HMMM .. I must say that my own experience with them in the past and recently was very good Johnny. they sold me all the plastic tubing for my skimmer upgrade and the Weldon 16 for 5 bucks. That's 3 feet of various DIA tubing and 5 oz of Weldon 16 for 5 bucks. What can I say.
    Why not take it back and give them the opportunity to set things right by re - repairing it for you.
    Rob

because its the principle of the thing. when he told me that I didn;t ask him to test it to see if it still leaked that is what really pissed me off. I shouldn't have to undo the plumbing,take time off work again, and burn my gas because he didn't put a few litres of water in it to see if it sealed. I've been there many times OSD and thats another reason I'm mad. if your tire has a leak you bring it to a garage, you should have to ask them if the tire still leaks I'm also fedup as I had this fixed before by someone else and the fix didn't last and was not done very well. from now on in,,, NO MORE PRODUCTS FROM DIY GUYS WHO THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THERE DOING!!! I'll save my coin and pay the big bucks for what works. can you tell I'm frustrated!

Yes I can see that your PISSED OFF Johnny. I also agree that given that they knew the device is designed to hold water that a water test should have been done. But they didn't do that and it looks like someone fell down on the job over there. In any case it seems to me that the only way to resolve this issue is going to be to return it to them so they can fix it right. It's the only way that you will in the end receive from them what you paid for. Otherwise your REALLY out the 90 bucks.
    Rob

Johnny,

Do they know if Its vell cast or extruded acrylic?Cause you are not suppose to weld cell cast acrylic.With what did that Weld/glue it?Even if it wouldnt be something that hold water,its clear that they didnt use proper techniques to assemble the pieces togheter.It doesnt matter if its for water or not every acrylic job should have the seams correctly using appropriate sovent/ciment/weld.

MAybe they are only good to sell products and not actually fix/fabricate it.

May i see a picture of were and how it leak/broke?and how they assembled it...im very curious.
    Derik...

oh and if they used a fast drying cimenting solvent like weldon 3 0r plain methylene chloride on the extruded acrylic i can absorb the solvent ciment too fast and result in joint and incomplete gluing...Its not rocket science...especially if your direclty invloved in acrylics like they are.i would go back there and ask them to do it again....ask what are the materials they are using....solvent,weld,what kind of acrylic they replaced or fix your skimmer with....
    Derik...

the skimmer is from LIFEREEF in the US so I believe its CELL CAST? I'm not sure though. I refuse to go back I have only one option now because it can no longer be cut due to location as the union is now right were the flange/seam is. they would more than likely just put weldon 16 there as thats what they mentioned on the phone. I put weldon on it tonight. if it doesn't hold tomorrow then thats it! this skimmer has been out now 3 f*&^%$#*k times. I'll scrap it and start over. I don't mean to sound negative guys and for that I'm sorry but theres a bunch of other tank stuff that has happened along the way and I'm just tired. you really get what you pay for in this hobby next move is either DELTEC or H&S reactor. will be awhile but I'm not cheaping out any more with knockoffs and DIY's. just not worth it.

Derik they do fabrication at Canus as well as manufacturing of various acrylic boxes and containers. Custom work etc. They should know what their doing and I understand Johnny's disappointment. Someone just didn't double check their work and the repair failed. I have built almost everything I have that is acrylic myself and have never (knock on wood) had an item fail or leak. Like you said ... it's not rocket science.
    Rob

Yes lifereef makes there skimmers from cell cast acrylic...i have one lifereef myself.The weld on # 16 ok for cell cast acrylic...i would of done it with viscous cimenting in your case....(chips of cell cast disolved in solvent....thus giviing a more dense glue....but anyhow....Is there anything hanging off that union..were its leaking....like a pump or something like that?Is there constant strain on that part were its leaking all the time?What the model of lifer reef you have?Is this like the pics below?

There is always a way to fix things appropriatly and permanently....Its just a matter of sitting there,thinking and finding the right way....believe me...i fix helicopters for a living and there is always something broke....even plastics on it...in the woods 10 hrs from the nearest town.....
    Derik...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast