Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,316

    Electrician or large appliance repair guy question ???

    I just got a good jolt off my freezer when I touched the cabinet with my elbow. I had it plugged into a power bar with a built in 15 amp breaker. The power bars ground pin however is missing. I have corrected that and expected the fuse in the basement to blow when I plugged it in again but it didn't. I checked the receptacle with one of those plug in testers and it checked out OK.
    Should I just replace the power cord to the freezer or could something else be wrong and electrically unsafe.
    Don't understand how I could get a shock off the cabinet but it will not blow the fuse?
    Rob

  2. #2
    Moderator mike536's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,782
    It's weird the same thing use to happen to us in welding school. When ever we would touch the welding machine and the welding table you use to get a shock. It didn't even need to be the electrode, the cabnet itself on the machine would put voltage into you. Pretty crappy feeling.

    Sorry I didn't really answer your question.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bonaqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459
    Unplug the freezer, and check for loose wiring in the back/underneeth. Something is touching the case.
    It's extremely rare for compressor or motor coils to burn and touch the case of motor/compressor.
    It's most likely a looseor uninsulated wiring touching the case.
    Grounding pin on the cord is for your protection in cases like this.If you had the grounding pin on the cable, you would still have wiring problem, only difference, you wouldn't be able to feel it. (no shoch).
    Check the wiring. Insuleate where needed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,316
    I already replaced the freezer plug cord with a heavy duty 3 prong AC type. All "seems" to be OK now but I did not find anything wrong anywhere inside or with the factory cord.
    Rob

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bonaqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459
    it's less likelly that the cord will give you that problem.
    The grounding pin/wire in the cord is there to drive any charge that gets to chasis to the ground so it doesn't shock you. When that happens, and there's no grounding wire/pin you get shocked. So whan the cord is OK and it's 3 -prong cord, that doesn't solve the problem. Problem is still there, only diff is: you do net get shocked.
    So, look for the problem, after the cord. Arround the motor, compressor, thermostat, etc. there's some hot wire touching the chasis.
    If you have an Ohm-meter or a multi-meter, you can test resistance between the each pin and the chasis. I believe it should be indefinite resistance between each pin and chasis except the grounding pin.
    If it doesn't shock you any mor, you can leave it like that, but, your power consuption could be increased due to current draw into the ground.
    Is it any clearer now?
    LOL.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,316
    Yes but when i had the side access cover off all the wiring was in order. Nothing was being chaffed anywhere and everything looked OK. There were no wires even touching the chassis. Now .. the factory power cord was one of those things with a built in rubber grommet. It was 5 wires meeting in the middle of this large grommet reduced to 3 for the plug. This large grommet was press fit into a hole in the chassis with power cord on the outside and internal wiring on the inside. I am "guessing" that something went wrong inside that grommet from people pulling on the cord etc. So I replaced the power cord part of the arrangement. If there is still an issue I can't find it. I could not get any current or voltage reading with a meter between the chassis and a good ground. I will always second guess this appliance in the future.
    Rob

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bonaqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459
    Yes, faulty cord is a possibility.
    You cannot get any current or voltage on an unplugged unit.
    You should measure resistance.
    Chasis t oground pin should be 0.
    Chasis to other pins - indefinite (out of range) (open circuit).
    Then, you're OK.

Similar Threads

  1. Electrician in Orleans?
    By Rybren in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Anyone an electrician?
    By Krugar in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-09-2006, 11:55 PM
  3. Lf Licenced Electrician Ottawa
    By john rock in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
  4. Leather repair
    By apoon in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •