Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Please change your avatar!!

Today I got a PM from a moderator on ReefCentral asking me to REMOVE my avatar!! WHAT THE %$^&^!!! I replied to him asking WHY, and that asking me to remove it would be like asking me to leave the board. I also told him that in Canada we believe in freedom of speech and expression. HE THEN replied.

"Our User Agreement prohibits the use of political or religious avatars, and signatures. Depending on the point of view taken, yours could be construed as both."

and removed it for me...

User agreement:

1. POSTING: You agree not to post, transmit or link to any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. This includes posting matter of a political or religious nature. You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Reef Central and representatives against, any claim arising from any material that you post or transmit. We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

3. AVATARS, SIGNATURES, TITLES AND PROFILES: All terms and conditions of this User Agreement apply to these areas as well. An avatar or signature may not contain commercial names, graphics, logos or URLs.

Does anyone here think that my avatar falls into "unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material" category??

I would like to hear you comments.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Since it is a Private board, they can enforce any rules they want.

Now, on the otherhand, I think it's pathetic they did make a big deal about it. What probably happend was someone saw your avatar, was offended by it and reported you.

There are many people out there that think their point of view is the only one that matters. Saddly companies listen to them more frequently because they make the loudest noise.
    -Dazz

If you paid a memebership to the board you might have a leg to stand on, if not you're pretty much S.O.L.

In either case, freedom of speech / expression etc. only exist for those with enough resources (read money) to protect those rights.

IMHO it's one big mole hill. You might try writing somebody higher on the food chain there, but I'd suggest designing a new avatar & moving on.

Sux, it's annoying but there's not a lot that can be done.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Well if it where an american who was insulting our Queen or primeminister im sure some would take offence to it! ..

Its only a avatar.. Get over it and use a different one

People get insulted for the dumbest reasons ... this is so stupid.

hehe i had too change mine on this site. (and rightly so a testicle (can i say that) in an eggcup is offensive to chickens)

It amazes me how certain people construe certain things as offensive,, if you find something offensive dont read it, look at it etc, etc. But no they have to look at it then complain.

Why did you choose that as your avatar? and who is it? hehe (ignorance is bliss)
    We need more Indians!

What do you think if they (american) use the same avatar for Pierre Trudeau ? Do you think us canadian will be offended ?
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

His avatar is of Preisident Bush dressed up like Bin Ladin! .. and then he wonders why americans might take offence to it?

Ha ha ive just worked out who it is, all this time ive been looking at it. Perhaps bushy is a member of rc and didn't like it. Hehe
    We need more Indians!

I would hope Canadians were a little more broadminded
    We need more Indians!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast