Thread: Ro/di

Question Ro/di

I have about 5 months old 25G reef with tap water, and will be transfer to 75G and will be use the RO/DI unit. It is good ideal to use the water from 25G?

Cheers

How good was the water in your 25? Any algae problems? Personally I would not use tap water at any time, but depending on where you are (LOCATION) you might have acceptable water. But why risk it? How fast can you make 25 gallons from your RO unit?
    I have a lot of Patients

You should at least keep the fish and coral in the water they are in now during the move and aclimate them to the new water in the 75. Reusing the old water is okay along as it isn't rich in Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. I assume you will keep the rocks, so, will will keep most any other problem that would come with the water.

Inevitably, when you drain the 25 gallon system, the last couple inches of water will be dirty with dust and debris that has been stirred up while pulling out the livestock, rock and coral. You should plan to dispose of this.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Im in Orleans area, the water in my 25g is good, no algae problem. But I am not sure should I mix the water from 25 with R0/DI water in my new 75G.?

As long as the parameters are good, save & re-use as much of the water from your 25 as you can.

I agree with cres, keep the fish in the water from the old tank and aclimate them to the new tank for the smoothest transfer.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.