Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemicals

Chemicals

Ok folks, =)
    This is totally out in left field but I need to know where to get some chemicals (I think most here are avaliable in grocery stores ect ect.) So if I can find out the common uses and where to get em if possible i'de appreciate it.

1) Lithium chloride
    2) Strontium chloride
    3) Calcium Chloride
    4) Sodium Chloride (table salt..I got this one hehe)
    5) Borax (I think this is in the laundry section??)
    6) Copper sulfate
    7) Cpper chloride
    8) Potassium Sulfate
    9) Potassium Nitrate
    10) Potassium Chloride
    11) Magnesium Sulfide

again thanks for any input
    Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Making fireworks tic?

Hmm... looks like some one got their hands on the Jolly Rodger Cook Book. Some of these chemicals can be very dangerous and when combined in the right way can make a very nasty bomb.

What are your intentions for these chemicals? Iím a chemical engineer and if your intentions are innocent I'd be glad to help but, I won't help for anything destructive.

<chuckles> naw nothing destructive....Just mixin up some stuff to bring our camp fires to life with color now and then. some of the stuff I know I likely woun't get locally or will have to get a a firework/rocket speciality store.

ALtho how cool would it be to make youe own fireworks!!!...maybe another time hehe
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

I once made a rocket, that was cool. got it at a hobby store. I launched it north of the 401 (i figs the rules would be the same as a BB gun, Where there is noone around) long story short within 10 min there were 2 OPP cars.

*good times*
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

1.) Brazing fluxes, fire extinguishers, Electrolyte for dry cells
    2.) Brazing fluxes, saltwater additive, sensitive toothpastes
    3.) Ice melt mix, saltwater additive or household
    4.)household
    5.)household
    6.)ick treatments or household
    7.) Animal feed, fertilizers or household
    8.) Animal feed or household
    9.) Fertilizer or household
    10.) Ice melt or household
    11.) Epsom Salts (some are Magnesium Sulfide and some are Magnesium Sulfate)

A much simplier method to add color to the campfire is to take an old piece of copper pipe (10") or so and pinch off one end. Take a 6" piece of the green rubber garden hose (the cheap stuff) and put it into the pipe. Then, you guessed it, put the pipe in the fire and voila.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

yea shipwreck I've used that, but apparantly it releases some bad stuff....altho I'm not sure it's any better than the other chemicals lol

Thanks Pique =)

Just a thought but if youíre burning the hose in a campfire at a campground you might get a fine by the police as rubber (or any resin for that matter) is on the no no list of the environmental protection act for items disposed of by an individual via combustion. You might not have a problem in the backyard but at a campground you might want to stick to the copper pipe only.

For all of you wanting to know more about the different colours here are some. These are the basics for flame tests;

Red Carmine: Lithium compounds. Masked by barium or sodium. Scarlet or Crimson: Strontium compounds. Masked by barium. Yellow-Red: Calcium compounds. Masked by barium.

Yellow Sodium compounds, even in trace amounts. A yellow flame is not indicative of sodium unless it persists and is not intensified by addition of 1% NaCl to the dry compound.

White White-Green: Zinc

Green Emerald: Copper compounds, other than halides. Thallium. Blue-Green: Phosphates, when moistened with H2SO4 or B2O3. Faint Green: Antimony and NH4 compounds. Yellow-Green: Barium, molybdenum.

Blue Azure: Lead, selenium, bismuth, CuCl2 and other copper compounds moistened with hydrochloric acid. Light Blue: Arsenic and come of its compounds. Greenish Blue: CuBr2, antimony

Violet Potassium compounds other than borates, phosphates, and silicates. Masked by sodium or lithium. Purple-Red: Potassium, rubidium, and/or caesium in the presence of sodium when viewed through a blue glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast