Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buying from someone online, need advice

i'm planning on buying a calcium reactor from someone on reefcentral but i'm just a bit nervous about sending someone that much money and having no guarentee that they won;t just take my money. is there anything i can do to protect myself? i buy lots of stuff online but mostly from ebay or stores but i never bought anything from someone on a forum. any advice?
    Vu

I think Paypal has protection for buyers (items never received, broken, etc.) even for non e-bay items. Check it out.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Paypal does have protection for purchasers however I think there is a minimum and a deductable (sort of) and a lengthy process where most people dont even bother unless it's a VERy expensive item. I would think though that if it is someone who posts quite a bit and has a good rep on the site you should be fine as they would not want any negative post on the site. I would be more leary of someone who just siged up and is selling right away.

i didn;t know that paypal has protection against non-ebay items. maybe i'll try that
    Vu

Quote Originally Posted by mp123
    Paypal does have protection for purchasers however I think there is a minimum and a deductable (sort of) and a lengthy process where most people dont even bother unless it's a VERy expensive item. I would think though that if it is someone who posts quite a bit and has a good rep on the site you should be fine as they would not want any negative post on the site. I would be more leary of someone who just siged up and is selling right away.
    In fact I think they completely refund the buyer since the seller has to refund 100%. I know because it has happened to me. The buyer claimed he never received my item. I had proof I shipped the item but no tracking service. Paypal took the money from my account and, I assume, refunded the buyer. The item was insured with Canada Poat but since the shipping address is in the US it takes months to settle the claim. In addition, each time I called Canada Post to get an update on the claim I get a different answer on the procedure (30 day delay, 45 days, 90 days, etc.). I can't find no information on their procedure for claims on their website. It seems to me that the Canada Poat insurance is a scam.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

u will get it eventually, same thing happened to me but with UPS. it took almost 2 months for me to get a 50 dollar refund.
    Vu

Do you think the buyer's a scammer, took your item and claim he never receive it? How does paypal know who is right?

Quote Originally Posted by Deafboy
    In fact I think they completely refund the buyer since the seller has to refund 100%. I know because it has happened to me. The buyer claimed he never received my item. I had proof I shipped the item but no tracking service. Paypal took the money from my account and, I assume, refunded the buyer. The item was insured with Canada Poat but since the shipping address is in the US it takes months to settle the claim. In addition, each time I called Canada Post to get an update on the claim I get a different answer on the procedure (30 day delay, 45 days, 90 days, etc.). I can't find no information on their procedure for claims on their website. It seems to me that the Canada Poat insurance is a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporize
    Do you think the buyer's a scammer, took your item and claim he never receive it? How does paypal know who is right?
    I can't verify that the buyer has received the item so I don't know if he's a scammer. Paypal has no way of verifying the buyer's claim but I guess they had to decide to settle the dispute. My beef is more with Canada Post.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

This reminds me of wicked story regarding Purolator that happened about 6 months ago. My wife had to send her laptop computer back to her employer in Mississauga for an update. Purolator "lost" the computer. There was a tracking on the shipment but the item simply disappeared along the way. What’s worse is the computer update was for all employees in the Montreal area. A total of five (!) computers never reached Mississauga that week. Obviously, some Purolator employee has sticky fingers. Purolator did not want to reimburse the cost of the computers because there was no insurance taken.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

The safest way to buy like this is with your credit card. My credit card company will stop or reverse payment for fraud everytime.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast