Exclamation Computer / Zone Alarm Help Please

I received e-mail from my ISP today telling me that my e-mail address has been sending unusual amounts of mail this week. They suggested that I likely have a unseen proxy server running on my machine. I have Zone Alarm fire wall, anti virus software and Pest patrol. All are considered to be good products.
    QUESTION ... can someone tell me what a "back loop adapter" is. I see this item listed in my zone Alarm "ZONES" page. I do not remember seeing this item in the past but may not have noticed it there. What is it?
    QUESTION .. how do I search for hidden proxy server if one is on my machine?
    Thanks
    Rob

Hey Rob,

Not sure what the "back loop adapter" is but here are some suggestiosns. I used to have problems with spyware and viruses until I setup this configuration on my system.

First

I use Microsoft Anti Sypware you can find a free download here
    http://download.softpedia.com/softwa...areInstall.exe

It's great and runs in real time. As soon as a threat is detected it will ask what you want to do. It's better than any other anti spyware software I've tried.

Second

I use AVG antivirus. It's free and it's the best anti virus software I've ever used. You can get a free copy at
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 (link is at the bottom of the page)

You have a firewall already installed ... maybe reinstalling it and setting up the programs that are allowed to access the internet might be a good idea that way you're sure you're only allowing the ones you want.

With microsoft anti spyware, AVG and my firewall I have yet to be infected with anything. I am on cable and am connected to the internet 24/7. It's been 8-12 months with no infections.

Hope this helps,

Steph

Edit: Make sure that e-mail you got from your ISP is really from your ISP. There are some clever people out there that can fake e-mails pretty well.

Thanks Steph. My Fire wall and Anti spy ware are also active and both work well. I also was wondering if the e-mail from my ISP was in itself a spam with the virus. I think I will call my ISP and ask them for some direction. Still would like to know how to confirm if a proxy server is sitting on my machine. I have tested my firewall at on line anti hacker sites and it checked out as invisible and safe.
    Rob

In your firewall there's got to be a way to "ask" for all traffic going out. So you'd be getting a prompt asking you "do you want to allow <application X> to access <address X>?" if you turn this option on in your firewall it would be easy for you to figure out which programs are trying to access the internet without you knowing.

Also try doing crtl-alt-delete on your system and checking the processes that are running on your machine. Get a list of all processes than you can go to google.ca and put in the name of the first process and search. Google will return results and you can check if that program is a known virus/backdoor/spyware. Do that for all processes in the process list. It might take you a little bit to do but it's a pretty good way of finding out if the programs running on your system are safe.

Also make sure all security software are up to date.

Steph

The loopback adapter (not back loop) is a reserved address, it's ip address is 127.0.0.1, generally used to test if TCP/IP is installed and working on your machine. If you PING 127.0.0.1 and it replies then TCP/IP is installed correctly.

Sounds like a trojan virus, Symantec (aka Norton) lets you do a security and virus check. Go to www.symantec.com bottom left hand side Symantec Security Check.