Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Trying to pick out a new puppy!

Ok, so here's the thing, on the Sun. before Labor Day, I lost my best friend, even writing this thread is hard as I think of her. Her name was Mocha, my 3 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever! If you want to know the meaning of inseparable, we were it! I didn't move an inch with out including her in our activities. So chosing another is hard. I definitely have to have a dog but what kind? This decision won't be finally made till next spring but I'm looking ahead because around here you have to have your name in early for local breeders! The decision is tough, to have another toller, there's no way I could replace Mocha and don't even want to try but if you know the breed they're so loveable, dedicated and smart, a great choice! Or do I go with another type of breed so as not to disappoint myself in trying to replace the first and always comparing! The choices are out there but I'm leaning in the direction of a samoyed or an American Eskimo. It has to be a long haired dog and there are many to chose from, what type of companion do you have and if one day you woke and found yourself missing your Best Friend would you chose another or go with something totally different?
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

First off sorry to here about your dog. I dread the day for either of my little goobers. My next door neighbor has an American Eskimo (Miniature i think). That thing is like a dog on steroids all the time and barks non-stop. I have a Border Collie and I couldn't ask for a better dog. She don't bark at all. (Unless there's someone outside like the mailman.[She hates the mailman] Actually the only one she barks at is the mailman.) She is insanely smart. Such a personality. She's an overall great dog. One of the smartest breeds. I'm sure your going to read 1000 stories like this one. What ever decision you make i'm sure it's going to be well thought out and the new puppy will be comming into a great home. Best of luck with your decision.

Gee's now i'm starting to miss my little guys. They are in Cape Brenton.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks Mike for your thoughts, things were pretty tough for a while! Border collies are great dogs too, Trina and I were going to rescue two seven year olds but they went to another great home before we could get there! I certainly love dogs and have plenty of room for them (3 acres)on the Kingston Penninsula. I don't recall Mocha ever barking at anyone unless you wore a hat, lol, once you removed your hat she'd love you til death, very affectionate. She was a 35 lb. lap dog and painfully so at times, lol. Are your dogs on a vacation? Thanks on the heads up on the eskimo's barking, sometimes that can be a bad habit. Friends of the family had a samoyed years ago and you never heard it bark! Thanks again for your thoughts, Kevin!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Kevin (in drag, holding a dog): "I just got him and I love him and I'm
    going to name him and it's going to be a perfect name 'cause he's the
    perfect dog and I love him....isn't he great?"

Bruce: "No. I don't like him."

K: "What?"

B: "Sorry"

K: "What's wrong with him?"

B: "He's just not my type of dog...he's just not...a terrier"

(sung by Bruce)

Terriers are my very favourite breed
    They're cute and cuddly and easy dogs to feed
    They'll bring you up whenever you are down
    Terriers average 20 pounds
    When I walk around in this terrier town
    One thing that makes me down
    Is when people put bandanas on their dogs

Terriers are my very favourite breed
    Cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed
    Terriers were there in the 11th century
    Napoleon had one to prevent misery
    Terriers are good with the aged
    Studies show that they prolong old peoples' lives
    No one wants to die
    Like this guy died
    Die die, die die
    Die die, die die
    Worms eating your eyes
    Bass solo

Les terriers sont mes types favourites
    Jolies, charmantes
    Pas de probleme a maintenir
    Il donnent du joie
    Quand tu es "blue"
    Les terries sont a peu pres
    Vingt livres

Give terriers a chance (Yeh!)
    Do the terrier dance
    No, let's not
    But if you want your love to show
    If you want your love to grow
    Then go terri-, go terri-, go terri-
    errr

(dialog)

B: "See....your dog just isn't good enough"
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

get a lab, nice and standard, and they like water right?

well here it is in a nut shell ...seems you know approx what kind of dog ya want so try this pick out 2 maybe 3 breeds .. at the time ya want you new pup go see the puppies and the one that can make that special connection with you as you look and play with it ... well then that one must be for you.
    because your not just going for a replacement your going out to find another best friend. hope that helps and sorry on your loss

P.S. never buy a pup from a pet store(aka puppy mill) just remember most times it's the breeder that is more concerned with who you are and where the pup is going is mostly your best choice. good luck

Sorry for your loss, didn't I just see a show that had the Toller at the top of the list of the best dog breeds? Going from one of those to a Husky of any kind will probably drive you nuts, and appear fairly stupid because they are so "head strong". I've heard the same about American Eskimo, but with any dog it is in the luck of the draw too. Note: I have Huskys so I am not really trying to talk you out of it, but as others have said, it depends on what you are looking for or will put up with.
    Ron N

We also had a Border collie ,she was a great dog cancer took her in the spring. Very smart dog great with the kids, supper watch dog no one could get past her, even family if we weren't home.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Thanks guys and gals for your thoughts, there are definitely alot of different breeds out there to choose from! After some great deal of discussion, we know we're sticking to the medium dog size market. Mocha was a good size for inside and out of the house, they range from 19" to 24" and 35 to 45 LBS. So a samoyed isn't much bigger just alot more hair,lol! We still haven't ruled out Border Collies or even solidified a certain breed, and jackal your right on the money with the advice about picking 2-3 choices and going to meet the pups. It's easier to pick one out when it's right there in front of you, what's hard is leaving them all behind to go look at the others. Last time it happened I came home with two kittens instead of one, lol.

The american kennel club page has a lot of information on breeds and more importantly, the typical characteristics of the breeds. The most important thing is to get a dog that is a match to your lifestyle. I couldn't imagine having a high energy dog with our schedules. With kids and work it would never get the attention it needs. After over a year of searching through web site after web site we decided on a BullMastiff. Once the decision was made it took us another year to find a breeder we were comfortable with. It may not be everyones choice but it was perfect for our situation.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast