Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

i'm looking for advice on garage lighting...

I just finished building my garage with a builder ( i did lots of extra elec. ) and ran lots of extra outlets and outputs for some extra light. I was thinking of setting up 6 sets of 2x 4feet no's.

I found some nice looking ones at reno & rona, they are 75.99 a piece. very nice ones, completly sealed, with an acrylic top. BUT, they are a little too pricy for my taste ( since i need 5-6 of them ) = 524.46 cents.
    what are my alternatives ? i know i need special ballasts that start properly in the cold..

Where in the ottawa/hull region can i get something that looks good yet cheap enough and most of all that will give me enough light to work on my vehicles and hobbies its 17x22 with 9 foot sealings. I will most likely paint the walls white to help the light reflect better.

Before :

Now:

advice, hints.. tell me what you think.
    I hope OneSaltyDog and Johnny will shime in,
    i know they will have something for me. he he he.

I was thinking of visiting Cohen&Cohen...see what they have to offer.

Sorry I cant really help you with your lighting question... But that garage makes your house look so different (In a good way)! I love the new look(from the pictures)!
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

liv
    thx for the compliments !
    we think soo too.. and the extra room on top will most likely be my work room since I work from home alot, I've installed a door between it and the 2nd floor so as to stop my voice from keeping my wife up when i'm on conferences at 2am.

Hi Liv.

Nice addition!

Are you planning on keeping the garage heated?
    I run standard flourescent lights in my garage (19x24). In the winter, the lights are slow to come on to full bright (1-2 minutes). Not a big deal to me.
    And they're a lot cheaper than $70 each.
    Plus I have a couple of flood lights (one is 150watt, the other 500w) for when I really need a bright light.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

liv
    ya, I plan to heat it a bit.. no to 20c but maybe like 5c just above freezing.
    didn't think about that.. he he he.

ijo
    great job liv... can't wait to see the inside!!! sorry... can't help you on the lighting unless you would liek to go with Metal Halide ... 14k would look good in there

IJO

My double garage has only one incandescent bulb outlet in the ceiling plus the garage door opener lights. Definitely not enough light for doing anything important. However, last winter I tried putting a 27 watt spiral (150 watt equivalent) in the socket to see if it would light mid-winter. A bit slow to reach full brightness when really cold but came on every time that I tried. My garage is attached but not heated so definitely below freezing in there mid-winter.

Now to your question. If you go to the local Salvation Army outlet or similar spot or to a local building supply recycling outlet, you will often be able to find the 5 or 6 bulb fixtures that are used above mirrors in bathrooms. Cost about $5. Add a plug or switch. Screw in a half dozen spirals and you will have lots of light.

Choose 6500K daylight bulbs to ensure good growth of algae on the car windows :biggrinbo

Bet your neighbours will be impressed with your designer lighting especially if you get the type with the stainless steel or oak face place. Add a mirror if necessary.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by liv
    I just finished building my garage with a builder ( i did lots of extra elec. ) and ran lots of extra outlets and outputs for some extra light. I was thinking of setting up 6 sets of 2x 4feet no's.
    I have 2x 4feet no's in my garage and they do a good job. If I remember correctly, I think I paid about 20$ a set. If you put six of those you'll get good lighting.

Michel

Nice job on the addition.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

liv
    sounds great guys,
    i'll head to cohen and see what they have to offer.
    rockgarden.. your too funny.. i do have some spare mirrors.. hmmmm

liv
    the shop lights are on sale at canadiantire,
    instead of 18.49 they are 11.99$

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

might pick those up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast