Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Projection TV problem

I came home and turned on my rear projection TV and this is what I got. The image is doubled and the background image is bent as can be seen in the PIC. The convergence is OK, the lens are OK and the mirror is not broken or unattached in any way.
    Is this a software or is it a on board hardware issue. Anyone with electronics or TV repair experience have any ideas about this?
    Rob

Check the screen from inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaqua
    Check the screen from inside.
    Not sure what you mean?? the Len's are in normal position, the mirror on the back wall of the unit is in normal position and the front screen is also not damaged or out of position in any way that I could see. It dose however look like the sort of thing you get with a computer monitor when it's toast.
    Rob

Try placing a sheet of paper right after the lens, and check if you're seeing the same thing.

When I look at the picture you attached, it seems to me like there's some sort of a screen behind the front glass that got loose. The screen itself could consist of few layers of something and the layer closest to the lens got loose.
    Check it out.

liv
    I Had a very similar issue with mine a few months ago... some electronic components had died. I can't remember what they were called but they were the chips that dealt with the convergence.. they look like big SMD's but with pins on one side only and size is 1"x2". . I have a toshiba 50hx70. it was under warranty ( i had taken the 3year extended warranty ) so 4 years warranty.. it broke at 3.5 years. they came and fixed it onsite. the parts were 80$ each.. 3 to replace plus labour to install.. and diagnostics ... thx Leons ! he he he

oh.. and the repair man said projections tv's that do not use lcd's ( like mine ) are prone to die like this.. he does this all day long !

This is the first issue i have had with this TV. It is 11 years old so I guess I will need to have a tech come in and do the diagnostics and give a quote. This is what I was looking for ... some one who had first hand experience with something like this. So if it is cheap enough to repair I will have 2 TVs ... I just ordered a 42" Plasma :-)
    Rob

I do some electronics, and this doesn't look like electronics problem.
    At least from the picture.
    It looks more like an optics problem.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Seen it before. I think it's some transistors that are shot and need replacing.
    It's gotta go in for repair, or get a repair guy out to your place to take the mainboard out and replace it.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I hope it's not the main board. That sounds costly. There are however several boards in this TV. At least 6 of them, 1 for each lens and a few others scattered around.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast