Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help! computer techies?

Idiot kids next door logged onto my wireless router and changed the password, is there anyway to log onto it without the password? say, directly? (cat5)?

or, is there anyway to manually restore factory defaults? the reset button on the back does nothing.... i thought that would do it

Most routers have a way to restore the original factory settings. Usually involves a prolonging pressing of the reset switch but you would really need to check out the manual for your router to confirm the process. Of course, while this would re-set the password, it would also reset all of the other configuration information too so you would need to do a re-installation
    Nick

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You should have a pin-hole sized reset switch behind or underneath the router. As Nick mentioned this will reset the router to factory defaults.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

If it's a linksys, press and hold the reset button for, if I remember correctly, 5 secs or so.
    As in a previous post, you'll also loose any configuration you had done.

And don't forget to change the passwd and lock it down.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Once it is reset, of course, you will want to add your own id and password.

Then, just in case, enable WEP. The kids next door will have must more trouble a) using your internet and b) blocking your access.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I say go next door and ring their little necks untill they tell you the password. :hysterica

Cheers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would be very, very concerned about this, as this is a serious breach of security. Think about it: identity theft, data theft, passwords, etc... Theoretically, that kid could have been a great source of problems for you. If you go wireless, make VERY SURE that you know what you are doing and the implications of any changes or configuration setings that you make. So, if you are not too proeficient in IT technology and security, get someone who is! In this day and age, someone posing as you could get YOU in a lot of very serious trouble! Really. How can you tell, or not, if someone else has accessed your home network/pc??

Now, on a lighter note, I guess the kids were not so idiot after all. :wink5: I would also suggest that you, perhaps, speak with their parents. I know I would because I consider this the same as someone coming into my house and roaming about without my permission. This is my view, of course. :wink5:
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

they entered the router cause i dudn't put a pass on it, then changed the router name to WAHAHA...

i got the problem solved and added a password.. so we should be ok now...

i wanna go to their house, write WAHAHA on their window, and make use of the three carton of eggs that has been sitting in the back of my fridge since, literally, june.

It's too cold now though the eggs would freeze up and not stink!

Cheers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

you're right

but it'll freeze, and they won't be able to clean it off... :biglaugh2

maybe when summer comes i'll have my laugh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast