Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geekfest

Geekfest

Okay I didn't want to hijack Dazz's thread so I'm staring a geek-off

I'm sitting here with gentoo doing a massive emerge... wondering since I have to upgrade the drive and put a DVD burner in this system, should I just do another phase 1 build of gentoo, or move to Suse & save myself all the head-aches Gentoo involves.

But I do like having a phase 1 build....
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Too funny, I'm at work testing software and at the same time installing Gentoo 2005.1 at the same time. I'm using phase 3 though. Gentoo is new to me, I've used SuSe and Mandrake but they install and done. I wanted to start from teh ground up and learn more.

Cheers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

This build's over a year old. It's okay but it's my first Gentoo build so there's a lot of things I should have done differently that are best corrected by starting over.

Correcting my CHOST for example. Don't believe the threads that suggest you can just re-emerge everything, I've been trying to clean up after that for 4 months now. Format & do over ...

SuSe would be okay, it would do the job but there's just no coolness factor in it

I use VMWare sessions in Gentoo as test beds for my apps, I have images here of all the common desktop modles to test against before deploying.

Cheers!

I know this will be considered blasphemous, but I dont use linux. I'm a gamer, and I need my games. In addition, I am a business man and need to target my software for the most prolific platform, in this case being Windows.

While I have used linux many times during my network admin days and at home before that, it always came back to games.
    -Dazz

I've never heard of these species, are the fish, coral, what? Do you have pics? LOL
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

lol, I only use linux as a host OS for the multiple flavours of windows I need to test against. I find there's marginally better performance doing it that way over using XP Pro as a host.

At home, I've got a RAID0 SLI system that does 2 things:

1) Plays World of Warcraft.
    2) Balances my chequebook, but only on Saturdays.

Linux won't come within 100 yards of that system.

The rest of the network is for my wife & kids and I just can't see them doing an emerge -uD world anytime soon. I have a hard enough time keeping up with what the heck just went wrong with my gcc, I'm not planning to support thiers too

Cheers!

What WoW server you on? I'm on a few, PvP and normal.

Cheers
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

Mostly Eonar, Alliance. I don't have half the free time I'd like to actually play the game, but I get every Friday night as a gaming night.

My wife does "Girl Stuff" and I game

Other than that, I sneak in when the house, the kids, the fish, the cats, the dog, my wife, and work don't require my attention.

That is, if I'm awake still

Cheers!

I'm running Windows 2003 on my server and XP Pro on my workstation. I've got a little PC104 system running RH9 but I'm definitely a Windows guy (when there are no VMS systems around, that is.)

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    SuSe would be okay, it would do the job but there's just no coolness factor in it
    If you're looking to run the absolutely coolest geekiest Linux on the planet (and off it) you need Flight Linux.

http://flightlinux.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast