How to Frag a Sun Coral

Hello All,

I wanted to put this up, as I have fraged several Sun corals with little to no loss. I have seen some other techniques on the net, but they destroy the Sun coral. The Sun coral grows the polyp/mat first, and then builds the calcium skeleton.

Here is how to frag:
    1. Examine the sun coral and look at the pattern of growth.
    2. Setup a bucket of tank water and place a sponge or towel on the bottom of the bucket.(To protect the coral)
    3. Using a dermal cut of wheel, cut the bottom of the sun coral calcium in the same direction as the growth. Important not to cut all the way through the calcium.
    4. Take a flat head screwdriver and wedge it between the cut.
    5. Twist with force and the Sun coral should fall into the bucket. I recommend twisting with force as to ensure that the coral mat splits.(You don’t want to have to rip the mat, you will increase the risk of loss/damage).
    6. Rinse of the coral in the bucket, and place back in your tank.
    7. Try to follow the normal feeding cycle and try to entice the coral to feed.(This might take a day of two).

For feeding, I have found that mixing Fuel(Aquavitro) to food prior to feeding help in any recovery.
    http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/fuel.html

I hope this helps. I will post put over the weekend.

http://www.aquavitro.com/images/fuel_header.gif
    http://www.aquavitro.com/images/Fuel.jpg
    fuel™ is a comprehensive carbohydrate, vitamin, amino acid, polyunsaturated fatty acid, and trace element supplement developed to address nutritional requirements commonly associated with corals. fuel™ contains ascorbic acid in a base of chlorella, which contains a rich assortment of amino acids and vitamins. The health benefits of chlorella are widely known and while spirulina, a similar algae, has been regularly used in the industry, aquavitro™ is the first to utilize the vastly superior chlorella. fuel™ is formulated to provide nutrients available from natural tropical reef waters.
    Chlorella is a unique algae that grows in fresh water. It is extremely high in enzymes, vitamins and minerals, including the full vitamin-B Complex. It is over-flowing with unsaturated fatty acids, amino acids, and proteins. There are also vitamins found in Chlorella including: Vitamin C, pro-vitamin A (B-carotene), thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), pyridoxine (B6), niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, Vitamin B12, biotin, choline, Vitamin K, lipoic acid, and inositol. Minerals in Chlorella include: phosphorus, calcium, zinc, iodine, magnesium, iron, and copper. It contains a higher level of amino acids than spirulina and is FDA approved for use with ornamental fish.

30 Gallon Breeder Driiled
    20 Gallon Sump
    Bubble Magus NAC6A skimmer
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS

Sun corals are easy, basically chisel + hammer 2 step process, or my favorite quick method of slamming it on the ground.

The big issue is having them recover in tanks with some algae problems (bubble or red hair) as they well catch onto and start growing on the fresh side of the rock. Once algae starts growing the sun polyps just stay closed.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

we need pics:b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

20 Gallon Sump
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS

nice pics :b15:

feeding is always a good sign. will the split polyps survive / regenerate ( like fragging a shroom ) or do they slowly recede??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks.

All of my sun corals that I have fragged have regenerated, I have not lost a single polyp. And I get new heads popping up almost every day. I guess I'm doing something right.
    20 Gallon Sump
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS