Thread: fragging yuma

fragging yuma

Do I have to frag my yumas or will they eventually split by themselves. My other ricordias seem to split ever 2-3 months, but my yuma looks them same as when I bought it.

You can frag your yumas, but remember they're relatively slow growers (as your noticing now), so it takes them a little longer to regain their circular shape.

Are you direct feeding? Frequent direct feeding (like Mysis) will encourage any Ricordia to split faster...if your not direct feeding right now, you can always try this before cutting them up.
    Keep passing the open windows!

I've found Yumas to be the most delicate of all the mushroom families when it comes to fragging. Personally, I'd let any Yuma naturally split into at least two before trying to frag it. That way you don't run the risk of losing it entirely.

Thats what I'm planning on doing with one. I do have a rock with four polyps I might try experimenting with. When I spot feed it seems that they don't get much of the larger items such as mysis, my little fish will steal it. On an unrelated subject, how long is bottle phyto good for. I use Kent but there is no date on the bottle so I tosed it after six months.

Not to sure about the Kent product, but I've used DTs in the past and am positive there is a "best before" date on it.

You can try cutting the top off of a pop bottle to form a cone that can be placed over the coral. That way, when spot feeding, the aggressive feeders can't get at the food, and the coral have more time to consume the larger items.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Check out this link if you haven't already
    Rob

http://www.marineland.com/seascope/SSISSUE4_04.pdf

I've seen that link. Extremely good walk through of the process. Sounds like you're still taking a bit of a chance even if you do it perfect. I think I'll let them grow a little more.