sps prop tank set-up

I'm setting up a 20 gallon sps prop tank which will be plumbed into my 65 gallon tank. I've a 250 watt DE pendant with a 20,000 kelvin bulb. I was thinking about having a bare bottom with egg-crate supported on four corners with upright pieces of PVC acting as legs. At the water supply end, i was going to drill for a 3/4 inch bulkhead and install one of those fan-type loc-line fittings for the supply. At the other end, a simple durso-type overflow back to the sump.

My questions are as follows:

1) I was going to use a mag3 for water supply, is this enough flow for sps growth, or should I supplement with powerheads?

2) Would substrate of any kind be useful?

3) What height below the water level should I set the eggcrate at?

4) Is a 250 watt 20,000K bulb enough light of the appropriate spectrum?

5) What height above the tank should the bulb be?

6) What photoperiod?

Any other comments/suggesttions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Please...there is a dearth of info on the web... I'm just looking for some help/guidlines.... for example, I have a Ca reactor, but should I also be dripping calc? My SPS in my main tank seem to growing well without dripping calc, and my levels are around 380 (pretty good considering very high alk).

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    I'm setting up a 20 gallon sps prop tank which will be plumbed into my 65 gallon tank. I've a 250 watt DE pendant with a 20,000 kelvin bulb. I was thinking about having a bare bottom with egg-crate supported on four corners with upright pieces of PVC acting as legs. At the water supply end, i was going to drill for a 3/4 inch bulkhead and install one of those fan-type loc-line fittings for the supply. At the other end, a simple durso-type overflow back to the sump.

My questions are as follows:

1) I was going to use a mag3 for water supply, is this enough flow for sps growth, or should I supplement with powerheads?
    Should be enough on a 20g, if not a single MJ1200 would be a cheap upgrade.
    I wouldn't bother, just something else to clean or look after.
    I would set it fairly low for now and increase it if you think its neccesary later on.
    Should be fine.
    Start at 8" and drop it to 6" if you think its neccesary later on.
    6) What photoperiod?
    8-10 hours.
    Any other comments/suggesttions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    That should at least get you headed in the right direction.

If you have extra MJ's I'd add them

Seems alot of people going BB, easier to clean IMO

All depends on how big you want the frags to grow, you have enough light to place it near the bottom

Should be ok

Its going to cause some heat issues so you'll have to play with the height and add fans

6) What photoperiod?
    4-6 hours, alot of people are finding that with intense MH its doesn't have to be on 12 hours to get good growth

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Please...there is a dearth of info on the web... I'm just looking for some help/guidlines.... for example, I have a Ca reactor, but should I also be dripping calc? My SPS in my main tank seem to growing well without dripping calc, and my levels are around 380 (pretty good considering very high alk).
    You might know this already but you have high alk because your calcium is low and the two are out of balance. You should shut off the reactor and let the alk drop and add a calcium supplement to get the two in balance. Then run the calcium reactor again.

No offence but for somebody who already has sps you are askin alot of questions. If your main tank works just try to replicate that environment. It doesnt have to be exact but I'm sure you know that SPS like lots of light and flow and little nutrients in the tank (lots of skimmer power).