Austin's new buddies!

So I brought home a couple of beautiful cerulean damsels. they are blue with yellow tails and yellow bottom fins and belly. And they went in Austin's tank ( if you don't know who Austin is just take a look at my avatar . They immediately hid in Austin's cave. I didn't see them for the rest of the night. But this morning they both showed up. One - the smartest!- has moved to a new cave on the opposite side of the tank. THe other one likes mantis shrimps for company! But Austin is very well fed with live periwinkles and doesn't seem interested. So far! I'll try to get a pic once the fish settle down. THey are really pretty. Almost like a blue and yellow royal gramma.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

MomRules were do you get live periwinkles and what are they
    25g Reef

They are native periwinkles that we collect on the shore. Because they are both intertidal and cold water species they will not live long in your reef tank. We keep them in a holding tank in the basement without a heater. But they are great food for a hungry mantis, and they will live for a few days in a warm water tank- long enough for Austin to find them.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

That is awsome so you dont need to by stuff for him wow
    25g Reef

Heck no- we don't buy stuff for him. Although he will eat frozen shrimp too= off a fondue fork no less! He also gets mussels that we collect at the same place. Hope he doesn't take a liking to blue sushi!!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

CAT
    Are the periwinkles a clam?

We used to dig for clams at Blomidon 'beach'. Dogs used to help us dig, dogs would get squirted and object... Very funny.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

No, the periwinkles are small round snails. You can eat them I guess, but there isn't much to them. Unless you happen to be a mantis shrimp!
    Gail in Nova Scotia