Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kent Salt

Kent Salt

i know we discuss salt a lot, but searching through past threads, Kent hasnt been discussed much.
    i finished my box of tropic marin salt and must go out to buy more salt tonight (this of course would be the opportunity to continue with tropic marine or switch).
    dont ask about how "happy" i am with this salt because its the only salt u have used recently and i barely do water changes, so i wouldnt know if i was "happy" with it or not.

Considering that after all my ESV additives run out, i will switch over to the collection of Kent additives (to use the same as recommended by LFS, i have yet to hear any reason not to switch over to kent, so might as well), would it make sense to use the Kent salt as well as it may be more "compatible" with their additives. i generally prefer to use all my products from the same company as they are "designed" to work together generally. I know that from previous posts Kent shows to have a higher amonia concentration, is this something i should be concerned about or will it just break down once added to my tank?
    anyone have any overall opinions on the Kent Salt? pros? cons? etc.
    as always, your thoughts and input are always welcome (but be fast because i am probably going to go out and get it tonight to continue my water changes and finish with this whole hair algae problem)
    Albert
    My Photos

Albert,

just wondering what additives do you add to your tank? Just wondering why you would need to add any sort of additives unless you are keeping a heavly stocked coral tank.

I mean if its not a stocked coral tank i would have to say that %5 waterchanges weekly would be more than enough for the tank to thirive!

i dont typically do water changes, so the additives replenish what is needed.
    typically, B-ionic, magnesium, strontium, iodide.
    with kent i would use Microvert, Reef builder, Calcium A&B, etc. and things like that as well.
    Albert
    My Photos

and i do plan on keeping a heavily stocked coral tank (building it up slowly as i can afford each piece and as my tank balances itself out.
    Albert
    My Photos

Now i assume that you are testing each and evey one of these items.. before adding and only adding what you need right?

I mean sorry to say but for what you need to spend on Time and test kits... it would cheaper and faster to just do waterchanges..
    not to mention safer for your reef.

Alhrz,
    I know you want some answers on the kent salt... I can't answer that as I've never used it. But.., I just wanted to say I agree with Toooloud. The one thing that does the MOST good for a tank is waterchanges. Believe me, it's been the time tested thing to do. I know many people say they don't do waterchanges and their tanks are doing fine. Maybe so, but I'll go further and say that they aren't doing fine.., they're just staying alive and with time, manybe quite a ways down the road. you WILL have big problems. When people say the tank is doing fine, it's because they haven't experienced the tank and how it would do with regular water changes. I will even go as far as saying you basically have a time bomb waiting for the right time to go off. This might be a drastic way to put it but it's the closest description you can use. No matter how good a skimmer, refuge, etc is working, water changes do the ost good for the tank. It also replenishes many trace elements that are not found in all those additives ( and don't ask me what they are now either because my answer is "I don't know"). Usually it is out of laziness that people don't do the changes. If you want some advice from me, I would recommend you start the habit of doing the changes.
    Also, I agree with 2loud that it will cost you less in the end. As he asked, do you test for everything you add? You do know that while Iodine can be beneficial to the tank, it is also an extreme poison if it reaches a high enough level, right?

Just watch for any build up of additives...it happens suddenly and with drastic results...none good. I have used Kent and almost every other salt....I have had no problems with any.

Be careful with all the additives...only use what you need and as stated above...test....

I've had a reef running for years and I only use calcium (Kalkwasser) and strontium once in a while. everything else seems to stay in check. everything is healthy and has been for ages now.

Good Luck
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

i do test for everything i add (with salifert kits) and in general with things like iodine and strontium, i dont add unless i am sure that i am seriously missing a lot. otherwise i leave it alone (i would rather have not enough in the water than to have too much).
    Regarding the water changes, i am not saying that i would leave my tank for years without ever changing the water (i am looking to buy the salt arent i). But i dont to "regular" water changes either set up as weekly, or bi-monthly. on average i would say that i change around 5 gallons a month, but like i said, its not "regualr" just whenever i get a chance and have nothing better to do. in my 72 gal tank, minus all the rock and sand, its probably about 60 gallons of water, so 5-6 gallons a month is really 10% which isnt so bad.
    now that i see nobody really has any complaints about Kent salt (as there have been many complaints about the instant ocean), my next question which i havent really gotten a straight answer about yet, is for changing my water:
    I can either siphon out 5 gallons and replace it with 5 gallons. or i can set my skimmer to skim out a very wet foam (into a drain bucket) and top that off with ASW. Over a course of a week, in a very wet foam, it will pull out about 5 gallons of light green water.
    both ways are removing 5 gallons and replacing it, but i feel like the "skimmer way" would be more effective as i will essentially be removing the most polluted 5 gallons rather than a random 5 gallons. my only worry is that the "skimmer way" may end up removing certain elements of the water and not other ending up with some elements highly depleted and others building up - is that something i need to worry about? or is the skimmer just pulling out the organics, and the proportions of trace elements would be the same?
    i hope i made this thought clear.
    Albert
    My Photos

ok, i'm gonna stay with Tropic Marin - LFS uses it in his tanks and reccommends i stick to it (will be easier on fish and corals if we both use the same salt) and from my past, i have always thought of it to be one of the better salts.
    shall i do a big 20 gallon change in one shot? or better to do a series of 5 gallon changes?
    Albert
    My Photos

Go for the big 20g change. It will be much better for the tank overall. I change 20% of my water every week and swear by it. Make sure you age the water at least 24 hours after mixing it.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast