distilled water for changes???

Untill i get back up to speed with the newer equiment that's avalable can I, shoud I do water changes with distilled water ... salt added of course ?????
    Rob

I use to use only distilled water on my smaller reef. As my reef grew, I had to use my R/O system to keep up....nothing wrong with using distilled water though...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks mouse... That's good to know . Even in a fish only tank I do not want to be filling it with unnecessary chemicals.

How much water do you need? I can eaily give you some RO/DI water as I hardly ever use my unit (it's running as an auto top off so it's idle 95% of the time).

Peter
    Peter Bomberg
    pbx@soundfound.com

Reef Nut (600G of tanks and my wife still talks to me)

Hi,

I got an RO/DI system + TDS meter after realizing that bottled water is $$$ and that we have lead service to our house (like a huge chunk of TO).

Toronto tapwater: ~175 TDS
    Crystal Springs distilled: ~50 TDS
    RO/DI: 1 TDS

What are those 50 parts per million in the distilled? Beats me, I used nothin' but distilled for months and always had algae problems. With RO/DI, the algae's finally receeding.

Distilled water still contains harsh Metals... The only true way to get decent TDS is to have RO/DI as it filters out the metals.. where distilled is just sterilized water...

distilled

I'll have to disagree on the harsh metals in distilled water thing[sorry]. Distilled water is the collection of evaporated water leaving most if not all metals and minerals behind. It is for this reason that only distilled water is aloud to be used to top off deep cell batteries. Now, some say that they use copper pipes for the distilling process but we all have them in our house running to our RO/DI units. Fresh water does not really react with copper anyways so theres not much of a problem there.
    Now, on that note I find distilled water taste like crap and it has 0 minerals and is NOT recommended to use as drinking water because theres cause for concern that the water will actually TAKE minerals from your body![bones] Doctors highly recommend you do not drink distilled water. Even DI water is to pure if ever there was such a thing. I drink RO water and use RO/DI for the tank. We are always adding minerals and metals in the form of additives,foods and just the breaking down of rock and sand bed so its no problem there.

Sorry Johnny, Was not clear on that.. I did mean that most of the places that make Distilled water do use metal machines.. witch some say can leach metals back into the water such as Nickle..
    http://www.mercola.com/2002/may/8/distilled_water.htm

Tooloud

ya just never know these days what goes on behind closed doors. I personally trust no stores for my water.Some people still use tap water [conditioned] with reportedly no probs? The way I look at it with all the coin we spend in this hobby water is the lifeblood so don't skimp and get a filtration system.

Peter … Thanks for the generous offer in regard to unused filtered water. I would be needing about 5 gallons a week … and no … the tank is not leaking. There’s just a lot of surface agitation and the air in the house is a little on the dry side. In any case if you have filtered water to spare it might best be shared with folks who are already keeps corals and rock. I am currently only keeping fish.

On a different note… You say your unit is idle 95% of the time. I didn’t know much about these filter units but I will guess that they can be hooked up to a float valve and only be working when water is needed? If they hook up to a ¼ inch supply line that’s would be great. I already have a ¼ inch supply line in the wall behind the tank. I was thinking ahead for a change.

I also see that there is some disagreement about using distilled water. I think I will move forward with treated tap water and order a filter unit.

Thanks everyone
    Rob