Thread: Coral Additions

Coral Additions

now as i fix up this whole hair algae issue, i am looking to start stocking my tank with some nice and colorful corals - i like variety.
    But of course i would not get any without first getting everyone's opinions from here. firstly if you have any suggestions they are always welcome.
    below is some i like and would like to know what you think:
    Red Finger Gorgonia
    Acropora
    Fire Coral
    Hammer
    Frogspawn
    Porites
    Montipora
    Sun Coral
    and anything else you can think of. if any of the above strike you as very appropriate, or something to steer away from, let me know.
    i would feed golden pearls and phytoplankton. my PowerCompact lights should supposedly be enough for hard corals (i know many people that use PC's for everything - they dont NEED metal halides).
    Thanks guys (and girls).
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Red Finger Gorg:
    If it's the one I think it is, it's called a Diogorgia and is common in two colors. A yellow mustard with red dots and white polyps and the red type with the white polyps. Any gorg that has any color other than brown or tan for polyps are not autotrophic and will wither away over time..., trust me on this... even if you DO feed what you mentioned.

Fire coral:
    ( actually related to Hydroids and not really a coral) is an easy beginners coral and while it will do better under MH, it will also be o.k. under the PC's , just keep it up higher.

Hammer:
    O.K.

Frogspawn:
    Also o.k.

Porites:
    WHile it might be o.k. these tend to be touchy at times. Lots of people can't keep them for long while others can. They also seem to be the "junkfood" of lots of animals who can't resist munching down on it for some reason. Otherwise, o.k.

Montipora:
    They would be o.k. although they DO prefer MH lighting if you want the nice coloring they can get. Under lower lighting they tend to stay drab and not grow very fast. I personally would take this as a so-so. This goes for the plating types or the branching types equally.

Suncoral:
    As long as you're willing to take it for walks and feed it everyday :contract: , then sure it will be fine!!!

Hope this helps.:wave:

According to Marine Depot: The Gorgonia, Sea Rod, Sea Whip, Sea Blade requires moderate water flow. Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism.
    See site (with picture) - http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1143714.html

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    If you want to get it, that is fine with me but I just wanted to give you some advice from experience and all the reading I've done.
    Remember, these places are in the business to make sales and money..., what would you say in your advertisement if you were in their shoes?
    Believe me..., I and many others would be VERY happy to be able to keep sea fans, rods and such too but they will not last.
    If you do want some nice gorgs, look into a "Purple feather gorg, Purple frilly gorg, Purple Blade gorg and Corky Sea Finger for starters. There are a few more but can't remember them at the moment. Hopefully someone else will add in here.
    What you want to look for is any gorg or fan that has tan or brownish polyps as these will have the symbiotic zoox in them. Any other color is strictly a filter feeder that will slowly starve in your tank... trust me!!!

Another thing you might want to note is the temp range they mention. This would lead to a more temperate climate that most of your other corals will find too low.
    I personally take the info on all these sites that sell with a grain of IO salt. You will find that they tnd to give rather general/generic descriptions.

trust me greg, i trust you more. just wanted to make sure it was the same coral u were talking about!
    Albert
    My Photos

greg, if i trusted them more than people with actual knowledge and experience, i wouldnt be asking here. i understand that the brownish ones are the easier ones to keep, which sucks for me because i am looking for lots of bright colors in my tank.
    Albert
    My Photos