Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    It might actually be cheaper now to shop in Ontario (we just got a cut in gst), closer to home. Starphire is nice but I'd only get the front panel in starphire if it's viewed normally (shoved behind/around something where only one side is viewed), and all three sides if it's a stand alone.
    I'd spend the money on a coast to coast before the glass upgrade though. Starphire is nice but you'll only get noticed by those that know and have seen the difference.

As far as it getting noticed - I only really care what I see :biglaugh2

Only planning the front if anything at all...

What is the advantage of a coast to coast overflow and can you point me to a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by fish
    As far as it getting noticed - I only really care what I see :biglaugh2

Only planning the front if anything at all...

What is the advantage of a coast to coast overflow and can you point me to a thread?
    I just bought myself a new 75G tank. I so badly wanted to get a custom tank built by John at North American Fish Breeders with an external coast to coast overflow. He quoted me a great price, but just couldn't come through because of problems with his glass shipment, and he is in the middle of renovating the store. Anyway, I ended up picking up a Perfecto 75G tank from BA Montreal with 1 corner internal overflow.. I am still kind of bummed out that I didn't get the coast to coast overflow..

Here are a few reasons why I think a coast to coast overflow is the best option. First off, with an external coast to coast overflow, it takes up no space on the inside of your tank. Basically the back panel of glass on your tank is cut a bit shorter then the rest, allowing water to overflow into the external overflow behind the tank. With the coast to coast overflow you get way better surface skimmer, sending only surface water to the sump/skimmer area of your sump. Basically, surface water is where all the bad high protein water is. It's just more efficient I guess..

So when it comes down to it, it looks better, and it works better. So if it's an option, and you have the extra 4-6" behind your tank to house the external overflow box, I would say it's an easy decision to make.

One more thing.. There are multiple ways of doing the external coast to coast overflow. In my post above I said the back pane of glass would be cut a bit shorter then the rest.. This is only one way, a lot of people just cut slots along the entire back of the back pane.. Just do a google search on the topic, and you should find some pics..

Banned
    Is this a custom thank that you're having built? If so, which builder are you planning on dealing with?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12