Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starphire Glass - is it worth the money?

I am considering starphire for a 24x24x48 (front only) and have never seen a starphire tank. What do people who have it think? Would you do it again?

Starphire glass is much clearer than regular glass. I assume that your glass will be 1/2" thick and there would be a noticeable difference between the two types of glass. My tank has 1/2" starphire glass and I can clearly see the difference in comparison to my 90 gallon. Your eyes will get used to the slight green tint to regular glass and you don't really notice it until you see a starphire tank. Is it worth the extra money??? that's up to you as it's quite a bit more expensive and it does scratch a bit easier IMO but I think it's worth it if you can afford it but I would bother if it will mean that you'll have to cut back on more important things like lighting, water flow or skimming.
    It all depends on your budget.
    Is this a custom thank that you're having built? If so, which builder are you planning on dealing with?

I'll agree with Marty that Starphire is alot clearer then normal glass but you can get a 180-210g AGA with MegaFlows for about 1/3 the cost of a Starphire tank and I'm not all to trust full about custom glass tanks. If your considering a new tank I would suggest calling Big Al's Montreal and asking for either Gwen or Brent at

Centre D'Aquarium Big Al's
    2315G AUTOROUTE TRANSCANADIENNE, POINTE-CLAIRE, QC H9R 5Z5, Canada
    (514) 428-0099

Even if its abit of a drive you will save $$$ over anything you could purchase in Ottawa... That's where I got my tank, saved about 600$ compared to Ottawa.

It would be a Miracles tank. I can afford the upgrade (though $200 is $200 and I don't like spending money for no reason) and it will not impact other parts of the system. Flow will be a mix of maxijets on a Tsunami wavemaker and a Tunze 6060, skimming EV-120 and lighting 2x400W MH + 2x110W VHO, acrylic city kalk reactor with Rabbit peristaltic pump. Stand and canopy custom built (by me) shaker cherry. Still working the details of the sump.

$200 for the front panel (48" X 24" I assume) is not too bad but make sure that it is Starphire Glass and not Diamante or other low iron glass...if they're charging you for Starphire, make sure it's the real stuff. Low iron glass will still have a slight tint to it, Starphire does not.
    I think it would be worth the extra money but like Dark said...if there is any chance of you wanting to go bigger in the near future, get the bigger one now as a 220 gal. at Big Al's Montreal would probably be the same price as your Miracles tank w/ Starphire front.

It all depends on your preferences.

200 dollars is more corals and fish... i wouldn't bother, but thats cause i don't have 200 dollars

I am moving from a 70G to a 120G as the 120G is the biggest tank I can fit. Think my wife would leave me anyway if I came home with a 220 (plus all the extra stuff around it would probably break the bank!)

If you dont mind what was the quote they gave you for your 120g from Miracles? PM me if you wish not to post it here.

PM sent...

I had a starphire glass tank owner ask if my tank was starphire. I guess if you have good equipment, and filter your water good, it can look just as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast