Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Mangrove update....

Well I'm sold on the use of mangroves so far. I added two more last night now making 10 mangroves on a 120 gallons of water volume. (considering rock and volume of refugiums.) My skimmer has almost stopped producing now that the root structure of the original mangroves has tripled in size. The leaves and shoots on teh mangorves you have to keep pruned leaving just one leaf, but they are growing and getting constantly pruned.

I would not ever eliminate a skimmer, but I will say that now my skimmer is producing about 30% of what it use to. I'm not adding anymore but am allowing the root structures to grow down into the refugium as much as they want.

I will get some pics eventually after I get a digital camera...

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Those who aren't familiar with mangroves, they are little shoots of the mangrove tree that have there roots in saltwater. They thrive of nitrates and make an excellent exporter of nitrates and other harmful nutrients. Here's a pic....

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Here is an exert form an article that got me so interested in mangroves.....

Using Mangroves For Nitrate Reduction

The use of mangroves plants for filtration in a saltwater aquarium, particularly for helping to reduce and control nitrates is not a new concept. It has been around for quite some time, but few aquarists have really known much about it.

However, this is changing because more and more aquarists are looking for a "natural" method of filtration for their aquariums, so mangroves are drawing more attention all the time.

Mud filtration is not required to grow mangroves. They can be grown in a sump, refugium or directly in an aquarium. They are fed by absorbing nutrients and organics from the water, which in turn creates a natural filter for cleaning water. Mangroves not only have the ability to absorb nitrates, but phosphates and other organics as well. In fact, they remove organics so well from the water that they act as a replacement for a protein skimmer. When using mangroves you will notice your protein skimmer working less and less all the time. The more the mangroves grow and mature, the more they absorb the excess organics in your water, and the skimmer has nothing to remove and becomes obsolete.

If you are a naturalist and don't want to have to use chemical additives or compounds to reduce and control nitrates in your aquarium, this is a very effective filtration method to consider. If this method of filtration is not up your alley, there are other nitrate control methods to choose from.

Sounds interesting. Do the leaves at the top need to be out of the water? Do you "plant" the roots in the sand? How fast do they grow?
    Susan

I have mine suspended in the water. you put half the stock int he water. I use a strip of styrofoam about 14 inches long and 2 inches wide. I have holes in teh foam. This foam then rests on the edges of the tank. The mangroves sit int he holes int he foam. This allows me to adjust the height into the water. I prune the leaves every 2-3 weeks. You want to keep just one leave so most of the light energy goes to building large roots under the water....The roots house tons of critters from the refugium....I also have different types of macro in the refugium too.

Oh ok. So do they need much light? I use my refugium for critters and don't grow macro algae so I don't light it. I do have some normal fluorescents I could put there though.
    Susan

That is really cool, Mouse! I have been thinking about using mangroves, but didn't know anyone who had tried it. Was it difficult to get the pod started?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

You just use normal flourescent lights...they need nothing special.

The pods usually come started already with a root structure and usually new shoots of leaves out the top. I had a bunch from a friend to start. I just bought two more last night which are twice the size of the original ones I had. I hadn't been in an LFS in a while and visited the guy I always buy from only to see he had them. I'll just see how this little project works out over the next few months...

Look out IJO...you may have to stock them soon....hahahaha

They get pretty tall, right? You might have to cut a hole for yours to grow through, Susan! I think it would look cool growing up above my tank!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I've beening looking for the mangrove as well for my sump. Could not find any in LFS, I could buy from ebay, the guy ships 10 "seed pods" (what is it ?) from Hawaii for 31.00 US inclding shipping.

If anyone knows where to get a couple, locally ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast