Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Snails??

Baby Snails??

After the lights go out for a while I took a look in my tank and noticed what seems like hundreds of ver small white snails (1mm maybe? kind of nassarius shaped)... Is it very comon for snails to reproduce in an aquarium ?

These only come out at night when the lights are out and cover the glass.... Just wondering if anyone could confirum that these would in fact be baby snails, or potentially something else that could be harmfull....

thanks,
    Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

i have them also - loads of them. i dont think they are baby snail, i think they are just little critters (like copepods) - i would assume they are good - most likely algae grazers.
    Albert
    My Photos

Awesome... don't suppose you have any pics of them ? It's crazy that there are hundreds and i never noticed them before... wonder where they came from.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

i never took pics of them. i would assume that they came with the live rock and/or live sand. same place where all out other critters come from. - i wish i could get more little critters for my tank to just graze on the algae and any other junk. having thousands of these guys is probably even better than regular snails. also when they reproduce they let it out into the water and this plankton is quickly enjoyed by your corals.
    Albert
    My Photos

Guys,
    Go to the link below and scroll down to "Pyramellid snails". You're in for a surprise. These guys are definitely NOT good. They will slowly attack clams and even your SNAILS!! They look like tiny grains of rice, right???
    What you really should be doing is syphoning them out and get a fish that will eat them. 2 such fish that are calm in a mixed tank and nice to have is a Yellow wrasse or a Six line wrasse. They will go after these snails.

http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyc...9/fnc0999.html

woah, that would explain why my turbo snails keep dying?
    Albert
    My Photos

OH yeah!!!!!!
    So, is that what you have?
    I used to have them for awhile but fortunately ( and about the ONLY good thing that came out of it) when I had a heat problem in the beginning of this past summer that wiped out 3/4 of my fish and all my snails and other inverts, it also cleaned these suckers out.

ATC
    I find they come and go in waves. I've got a couple types of small (<3mm) snails but not these ones. Some are baby ceriths and the others are sort of pink and grey striped. You never see them on the shells of the asterias or trochus.
    Aven

Check around the edges of your snail shells. If you have clams, they will be up on the edge of the shell and mantle. deadly on snails and eventually deadly on clams. I use to pick at them for hours. Now I have a yellow coris that picks at them relentlessly. I haven't seen any in months...if you see them on your glass, smush them with your finger....maybe your fish will develope a taste for them as they fall to the sand bed. Doubt it but it does kill them. I have seen clams with hundreds on them...

Just one more pest.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Aven,
    The bad ones are whitish colored and look like a grain of sand both in color and shape. You probably had other type that were harmless. believe me these bad ones do not come and go in waves. Once you have them, you will always have them more and more if you don't take some kind of action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast