Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evil Slime Worm!!!!

Several months ago I caught an oenone fulgida in my tank. This is an evil orange bristle worm that eats clams by drilling a hole in their shell, and kills snails by sliming them to death and then feasting. It also took out a tunicate. I got lucky and actually caught the sucker.
    BUT- he's back!!! I was afraid there would be more than one. After all- whoever heard of just one bristleworm! Between supper and now it slimed a feather duster! I have set a trap. I lost three dusters last month, and was suspecting my hermit crab- but this time I know it was the EVIL SLIME WORM!

to be cont'd....
    Gail in Nova Scotia

CAT
    Good luck with the hunt. There's never only one, is there?

Got a link to these guys, I'm curous about what they look like.
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Caught him!

He put a pea size hole in the tube of the feather duster. Poor thing! Tonight I lifted the rock that the duster had been on and there he was, stretched between the sand and the rock. I grabbed him with the tweezers. It is about 5-6 inches long, dull orange, skinnier than a normal bristle worm and the bristles aren't as apparent. Unfortunately , I also found a baby hanging from a little tube worm in the rocks. I got it too. Now I know where all the little dusters disappeared too! Damn!
    I wonder if a wrasse would eat these guys when they are little???

I have a pic CAT, I'll post it later. I got them with my live rock, which was originally from Tampa Bay. Oh well- its' the only bad guy I've had so far.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

If you want to take a chance, Arrow crabs are excellant for hunting down all types of worms. Thing ism they probably won't only go after what you want them to. These guys are the ninjas of the reef tank.

Perhaps a yellow wrasse like the one I used to have. They won't eat the big ones but would likely take out the babies. Dang Gail, I really had hoped this was behind you.
    Susan

At least they don't eat corals or fish! But I really liked my dusters. THey are nocturnal, so they need a nocturnal predator. Wrasses sleep all night right? Are arrow crabs nocturnal?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Yup, as most crabs and shrimps are. Do you have any other slow, stuff that could possibly be a target though?

I have two cucumbers. Definitely slow! But one is a foot long. Would they eat spaghetti worms too? i have zillions- so I don't mind losing a few- but I don't want them wiped out. And I have a deep sand bed, with lots of critters. Still, once I get my refugium going most stuff should come back.

Guess I better do some reading on arrow crabs.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Gail - Andrew Lewin had some arrow crabs the first time I was by his place. He may be a place to start. They are pretty cool critters.
    Susan

Well, it seems like if you get a small female they have very tiny claws and usually only munch on worms. So I guess I could try that. Now - if anybody has a small female arrow crab they don't want....
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast