Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC frustration

Thumbs up RC frustration

lately I've been having a heck of a time using the search fuction over at RC and now even getting on the forums! Keeps saying that the server is to busy try back. Sucks when your looking for something. I guess that site is in ned of another upgrade.

not everyone can be AC!
    Albert
    My Photos

I have heard from a moderator on RC that they are going to be doing a big upgrade soon to fix the problems. RC is just so big they have to continually upgrade to keep up with the growth.
    Susan

The servers are supposed to be upgraded by years end. The search feature is limited right now because it's being revamped and archived.
    Susan is right about the growth of the site. It seems that the average span is about 3 to 4 months after they've upgraded that it startes to slow down again. What they need is one big
    "Superduperantislowdowntillhellfreezesovershowalla rchiveallknowallrockemsockemlefthanded&righthanded accessableconstantPH/temp/Alk/Calcselfregulatingnuclearpoweredreefsafewirelessno nepoxyfilledinkeraseableDSBautomatedselflearningvo icerecognitionablewaitdon'trunthiskindoftroubleisl otsoffunrebateofferinghighspeedultralightweighttit aniumanticorrosionfoundnemoautomatedcustomavatardr awingalwayshappyhour2for1specialalmightymonthlyfre edoorprizegivingeasytofeedseafan/gorg/dendro/sclerotelekinesisactivatedbiointelligentflubwrench adjustableforthe spleenvalvenonsquishingrunsongasdieselorwaterchang ewaterifnuclearpowerisnotavailable" kind of server.
    Then it would be fixed once and for all ( o.k.... so I had a slow lunchtime:biggrinbo

greg, you have always been a master of pinpointing the problem
    Albert
    My Photos

Greg, I'm taking you to the next client meeting that requires any technical explanations. They can write the cheque while they scratch their heads
    Susan

Anyone know if they are using or planning to use server farms? I could never find that info because they keep saying that giving out this type of info is a security risk.

Hopefully, they are using clustering technology. In my opinion, rather than replacing their server with a bigger server, they simply need to scale out their server by using server farms. They should make use of all of their previous computers. Hopefully, that's what they're doing. As a simple example, if their existing machine can process 100 units per second and their new machine can process 200 units per second, then if they replace machine A with machine B, their resulting throughput is 200 units per second. On the other hand, If they cluster their machines, then potentially, they could get up to almost 300 units per second. Scaling up by replacing servers with bigger servers or by adding CPU's to multiprocessor computers is seldomly cost effective. The cost for the additional gain is way higher than buying 2 mid range servers and clustering them. In other words, as we get to the really high end servers, if server C is twice as fast server B, that server is probably over 3 times more expensive. You can look at Intel CPU prices to get an idea of that concept.

Here's some reading for those who want to read about Clustering:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...asp?frame=true

"Clustering
    Clustering is a computer architecture that addresses several issues, including performance, availability, and scalability. As is the case with other architectures weve covered, clustering is not a new concept. The new aspects are its implementation and the platforms that can take advantage of this architecture.

Cluster Overview
    A cluster is a collection of loosely coupled, independent servers that behave as a single system. Cluster members, or nodes, can be SMP systems if that level of computing power is required. However, most clusters can be built by using low-cost, industry standard computer technology. "

So the point is they don't NEED to buy a big expensive server. Just buy some decent servers and cluster them. That gives you the same performance and saves money. :biggrinbo

Since I'm probably the moderator at RC that Susan mentioned, I can mention a few things about the state of RC.

Yeah, we're doing a hardware upgrade. No, we don't need to do anything related to clustering. My "real life" job involves maintaining the largest computing cluster in Canada, I've been a UNIX admin for ~15 years, and in my opinion, it just isn't necessary. The costs associated with running a site the size of RC are enormous. When you've got ~1200 people on at any one time, all looking at images and browsing photo galleries, the bandwidth usage is usage. Many boards don't even have as many threads as RC has people who are online at any one point in time. In the past year, RC has doubled it's user base and MORE than doubled the total number of posts and threads. It's not quite exponential, but it's close. It seems that Finding Nemo had a bigger effect than anyone thought We expect to break the two million post barrier in a few days.

For what it's worth, we've already made some significant changes over the last few weeks. GregT and I have been tweaking stuff on the existing hardware, and there is noticeable improvement. I'm on that board all day (the newbie forum is busy busy) and I rarely get "server too busy" messages. Maybe one or two a day, and they only last a minute or so.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now I'm glad to be a part of the AQ family. It's nice to have a Canadian board here, and especially one as great as this one.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

That's right Jason, we're all one big family ... : geez where did all these other family members come from?????????

This is a great site and a real relief from the busy traffic of RC, although RC does have lots of info and is a great reference site ....

Life just seems so much more easy going here somehow ....

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Thanks Jason. I'm very glad you're on the job at RC. It's a valuable resource but I have to admit this place is starting to feel "homey", probably just because it's small.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast