Space Between Bulbs!

Just looking to find out what the minimual distance i can have between a VHO bulb and a Halide..

got the 175 watt bulb.. but i only have like 3 inches of space between the 2 VHos.. the only place it might fit!

So is it ok to have the halide Just about touching the VHO bulbs?

You generally don't want VHO bulbs to get hot, since it really shortens their lifespan. Conversely, MH bulbs need to be hot enough to work correctly, so you can't really cool one but not the other in the situation you're describing. There's no way to mount the VHO bulb on a support to pull it away from the MH bulb is there?
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

na.. i just made some Custom mounting brackets and now i think i will have to make new ones!

SO how far apart should they be? I have a new MH bulb ( well, Barry has it but I'll be getting it at the meeting) and I have to mount it with 4 VHO"s. The hood is a foot high. Right now the VHO's are at the top. Can I put the MH under them? And how far under? ( Can you tell I'm no techie?? Give me biology any day!)
    Gail in Nova Scotia

ijo
    I've seen them setup like the attached:

Gail, do you need to use 4 VHOs? Why not back it off to two? The MH is going to become your main light source anyway - save yourself some money on the power bill.

For the record, this is one of the reasons why I like wide tanks. A wide tank means a wide canopy, with lots of room for lighting.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

When I did some searching for correct ways to have the light diffused, it seems the common concensus was to have the flourescants as close as possible to the water and never have MH of flourescants one on top of the other. Your just wasting light because the reflecting will be blocked by the other bulbs.

As an example, since my tank is viewable from both sides, I also have full length canopy doors on both sides. My actinics ( the only flourescants I use) are screwed 1 on each door as low as possible so that they just skim the tank top when I open the dorrs. The MH ( s x 400w Radiums) are attached with brackets to the top of the canopy and are obviously spaced over the center of the water. This way the flourescants are beside the MH's and also below them. Pretty much like the lower diagram that Ijo posted.

I have my VHO actinics about 5" below and perpendicular to my halides. The VHOs run the length of the tank and the halides go back to front. The VHOs are as close to the water as I could get them.
    Susan