Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tropic Marin Phosphates!!

as you all know i am doing a lot of water changes now as i fight my algae problem. I tested my tank water and noticed high phosphates (it used to be at zero thanks to Koralin PO4-Minus and PhosGuard). i figured this may just be do to the algae die-off leaching phosphates back into the water. I tested my RO/DI water to make sure that even though my RO/DI is working very slow, that its still working - RO/DI had zero phosphates. I added Tropic Marin salt (with a powerhead to mix). After about 10 minutes as i was about to put away my test kit i decided to test the new salt mix (only because i noticed the "Guaranteed to be Phosphate and Nitrate Free" on the box). And low and behold PHOSPHATES!!! It tested for about .05 phosphates on my Salifert test kit!!
    could this be something else in the new mix that is leading to a phosphate reading? or have i been adding phosphates with this mix????
    Albert
    My Photos

I just tested again. I poured some RO/DI in a glass (to make sure it wasnt the bucket or powerhead that were somehow leaching phosphates) RO/DO = 0 PO4 I then added some salt and tested again, and there are PHOSPHATES IN MY SALT!!! has anyone ever tested Tropic Marin salt for phosphates, i know a lot of you use it.
    Albert
    My Photos

I've never used Tropic Marin but that's a fair amount of phosphates for newly mixed water. I know you're not big on water changes though so I don't see how it would build up over time. Were the results of your tank water much higher than your test of the new Tropic Marin water?
    Susan

I've done the same test with IO and get the same thing. Zero PO4 in RO water, mixed in IO and got phosphate. Didn't go so far as doing in a glass so maybe it was the bucket/powerhead.
    Says right on the bag, "no phosphate"
    thanks.
    thien

i never had phosphates in my tank till i did these water changes!!! its about the same level.
    What do i do about this?? can anyone else confirm this about Tropic Marin?
    Thien, do you still us IO regardless of the phosphates?
    Albert
    My Photos

I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of the salt mixes have a certain amount of it though. It's pretty much common knowledge that they lie on their labels and in their advertising.

Steve's natural seawater tests 0 for phosphates Actually, another friend of mine is now fetching his own from a nearby cove, unfiltered. He brought some by for me to test the other day - 0 phosphates.
    Susan

then how do i ever remove the phosphates from my water if i am only changing it with phosphate water as well (short of adding glow-in-the-dark-bio-luminecent-unfiltered-brooklyn-radioactive-natural-sea-water-which-bush-would-classify-as-a-weapon-of-mass-destruction - i would continue, but dont want to compete with greg)
    Albert
    My Photos

It's probably not as big of a problem as you think. I ran my tank on Instant Ocean for over 2 years before I switched to seawater. I've always done a minimum of a 20% water change every week. Phosphates are something to be avoided if you can but I don't think it's necessarily the root of all evil in a reef tank.
    Susan

when i am trying to fight an algae problem it is. Especially when i worked so hard to get my phosphates down to ZERO only to have a water change ruin all that!!! are there any salts out there that would not have ANY phosphates?
    Albert
    My Photos

this was posted on RC.
    What does it mean to me? could the tests be picking this up? and is it something i need to worry about?
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast