moving tank to new house and need substrate help

I am moving my 120 gallon to a new house next week. I have an inch and a half of sugar sand which i don`t like as it gets kicked up too much.

should I keep the sand and maybe put an inch or so of medium aragonite on top of it? or would it be ok to ditch the sand and use all new aragonite?
    the sand is so gross with fish turds etc im not sure if it is ok to re use it.

by the way,the sand I have now is 6 months old.

Myself i would ditch all the old sand and start from scratch. If you put a different grain size on top of the stuff that you have there now it's only going to get mixed up and you'll be in the same boat with the sand "kicking" up as before. Thats what i done when i moved my tank to our new house. All new sand. Oh and make sure you have some extra water made with a heater in it just incase. I was very lucky that I had some made when i moved. It's a huge task to move a tank when it's all set-up. Good luck!! If you need any more info just let me know. Like i said I just went through it.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

did you have fine sand before? what kind of sand do you have now and does water stay clearer? I may just go about an inch deep this time.

I too would consider disposing the old sandbed, regardless of what you want to replace it with. Chances are it is loaded with organics now, and once disturbed will cause a spike in Ammonia etc.

Sugar find is good (better filtration) if you can keep it still. This is why some people have switched to a "Remote Sand Bed" of sugar fine sand in a pail with low flow while either going "bare bottom" or with coarser grain for the appearance of a sandbed.

Regardless what you do, remember that moving an existing bed, cleaning and reusing, replacing, etc. will all reduce your natural filtration for a few weeks until it has a chance to re-establish. You should watch your parameters and prepare for some water changes as needed.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I had fine playsand before but now I got a little coarser. I was totally not happy with the playsand. I'm pretty happy with the coarser stuff now. I don't know what the name of it is. I bought out Pets Unlimited in Fredericton and Moncton. I was stuck and I had to get it. Paid way too much for it. Thats why I say to make sure that you have everything planned out before the big day because when your moving the tank can easily get put on the back burner because there is so much going on.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott