Thread: fish feeding

fish feeding

Had a quick question regarding frozen fish food..... My wife and I are going away for a few days and my sister in law will be taking care of the take (feeding) and was wondering if she took the frozen fish food and kept it in the fridge to thaw over night and fed the tank the next day would this be ok ? Any downside to the nutrition of the frozen fish food ? or any other downsides? She doesnt want to wait for the frozen food to thaw.

I know she can add soeme tank water to quicken the thawing time but she would like to just come over feed the tank and be gone ASAP.

THanks in advance.

For a few days it's not going to matter one way or the other. Unless the frozen food will wash right down into the sump, she can largely toss it directly into the tank.

You'll have more phosphates & nitrates than you'd like to have doing it that way, but it won't hurt the fish.

If it would wash right down to the sump, look at getting a feeding station. As long as it floats it'll stay in one spot.

Anyhow, thawing overnight isn't a big deal. As long as she's only thawing what she's going to use the next day. It'll go rancid pretty quick otherwise.

If you're going for a couple days, the fish do not need to be fed at all. (Couple being 2) Longer than that you should have somebody pop around for it, but they don't need to come every day. Maybe you can get a compromise from her? Do it this way, but only every other day?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

few days is actually 2 weeks but usually feels like just a few days to me. I usually feed the tank twice a day so I dont really want to cut it back to every other day.

How long can you let the food thaw out in the fridge b 4 it starts to loose its nutritional value and go bad ?

Pretty much the day before. It depends on what your frozen food is.

It's not so much that it'll lose nutritional value as that it just goes bad, quickly. If it's your own blender mash, you likely have the longest time period. If it's store bought, how it was shipped to the store is important. Did it ever thaw out & get refrozen on the way? at the store?

Try experimenting with a feeding ring, you can buy one for < $10 or you can make one with a piece of 3 - 4" PVC / ABS. It's only has to keep the food in one place long enough for it to thaw...

Cheers!

wish i have the time.. actually leaving tomorrow morning and she just told me last night she doesnt like stikcing around for 15 min while the food thaws ...lol... The frozen food is the brine shrimp misis and blood works by hakari I think.. not sure how it was shipped to the LFS that I bought it all from.

During the summer, I was away at a cottage for a few weeks - coming back every second day to check on the tank. Left a bag of mysis out by accident. Two days later, my whole house stank :crap:

Really evil...

I wouldn't trust frozen Hikari in the fridge for more than a day. Nothing against the brand, but lord only knows what may or may not have happened to it between the manufacturer and your freezer.

IMHO you're further ahead keeping them frozen having her toss a cube in frozen than thawing the night before. 2 weeks of excess phosphate & nitrate from the food may cause algae issues, but I doubt they'll be terrible.

Advice is free & you get what you pay for.

Best of luck,

Thanks I think I'll tell her to play some playstation while its thawing out and not take the chance of thawing over night in he fridge.. that was my first gut feeling but thought I would ask just in case.

Cheers !!