Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Nano reefers sound off

Well, my first foray into SW will be a 10 gallon nano in my new office when I move next week. It'll be a small reef with a modded AC500 as a fuge. I'm thinking probably a 70W 20,000K Ushio over it... the 150 might be a heat issue.

Who else on here is running nanos and if you had to start all over, what would you have done differently?

I have a 10G system, 70W MH, 40W CF, and a seaclone 100 skimmer, air driven ATO It's currently in stasis & everything went into the 90G. I just don't have the time to look after 2 tanks right now... But I ran it for 2 years.

As too what I'd do differently:

First off 70W MH isn't enough for sps, been there done that, there isn't enough intensity. I'd go T5HO. The lower height for the canopy would look better too IMHO. I've seen 150 / 175W MH pendants over 10G tanks, but then you're looking at a heat problem. You'd likely need a piezo chiller too.

Now that I'm not afraid to drill glass, I'd add a sump too it. All the support equipment is very noticable in a 10G. A small closed loop with an inline MAG for flow & almost everything would vanish.

I like the foot print of a 10G for a desktop tank, but I'd go taller next time around, I'd like to try sea horses or pipe fish. Since most won't tolerate high flow, I'm thinking lps & softies only, which brings up those T5s again.

I've tried building a couple skimmers. I've even got them to skim. I've lost enough hair, I suggest buying a second hand seaclone or prizm.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

i wanted a cube, a 15" or a 12" cube woulda been smokin hot to work with

viper K2 150W for lighting would be sexy, but on a small tank like that I woulda settled with PC...

right now my 20g nano is lit by a 175w XM20000K and moonlights, loos great, and i think i can take on some SPS... right now only SPS i have is the turbinaria, which are doing quite well.

Banned
    The viper is getting really crappy reviews from what I can see

Since my nano is in the office on a desk, a sump isn't an option for me. That's why I'm going with the AC500 on the back. I can jam a heater and a small fuge back there with some live sand, live rock rubble and some chaeto

I'm not going with SPS, since it is my first reef, but I would like my softies and LPS to do well, so I'm thinking for that the 70W should be fine. I have a friend who has a 15 high, which has the same footprint as a 10 gallon but 18 inches high instead of 12 inches...

T5HO aren't really an option, as I've never seen a 20 inch HO bulb, only 24 inch, unless someone can point me in the right direction...

Look for a 10 long (hard to find) but they're 24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x 12 5/8". Alternatively a standard 15G is 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4.

That's the one thing I really should have put on my list. NOTHING is made for a 20" tank. Go 24" and you can use off the rack kit. If you're under 24" long you have to customize everything.

Cheers!

Banned
    Well... I was looking at the Current USA Sunpaq 70.. its not a bad price for a commerical unit and its only 20". illumin.com has a DIY 70W retrofit that includes everyting for a decent price

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Look for a 10 long (hard to find) but they're 24 1/4 x 8 1/2 x 12 5/8". Alternatively a standard 15G is 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4.

That's the one thing I really should have put on my list. NOTHING is made for a 20" tank. Go 24" and you can use off the rack kit. If you're under 24" long you have to customize everything.

Cheers!
    i think he meant the T5s... theres lots of HQI and PC units for 20" tanks

Just thought that I'd post this link.

www.nanotuners.com

I have found some good/ interesting stuff here and the prices aren't too bad either.

Bubbles

Yes I did mean T5s, sorry I'm not a fan of PC units and I'm no longer a fan of 70W MH setups. If you want to beat T5s you need more than 70W. For the difference in heat output alone, T5s are better over a small tank.

If they only made an 18" HO T5

If you want a 70W MH lamp over your 10G tank you'll need cooling fans. Circut city sells an easy to hook up 120V AC fan that looks like it came out of a 1980s PC. They're big & almost perfect for nano fans. It comes from Radioscrap though so expect to pay 50% more than it's worth.

This is evaporative cooling, which means you'll need to be topping up your tank much more frequently. I suggest an auto top off & a battery powered, air driven top off is the easiest to do. (You might not be able to avoid auto top off in a nano, but it will be worse with MH lamps & cooling fans.)

Something you need to find out about is what happens to the HVAC when the office is closed. Somplaces turn off AC over the week-ends in the summer & allow the heating to drop in the winter. Keeping the tank warm isn't a problem, keeping it cool can be.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed my 10G and I learned a lot from it. I'm going to do another nano, but it will be 24" long and taller. It also won't sit overtop of my server at home ever again, but that's another story

Cheers!

Im running a 150 HQI over my nano, with no heat issues. Dont fear the heat. You'll be ok. My temp doesnt move more than 0.5 degrees daily.

The best purchuse ever for my nano is definately the Tunze osmolator ATO. Id never be able to keep SPS without it. The way that it adds water in very small intervals is perfect. I modded the laser water level too, so it doesnt take up much room. And eventhough there is a backput float switch, i dont use it. It would only take up space.

Also, I suggest that when you buy your powerheads think 'mini-jets!' I dont have any, but in such a small space, the smaller your equipment, the better.

Alot of people on this forum put more time and money into their large tanks, but my 15H nano is my prize tank; Ive been into nano's since the start and always trying to come up with new ways to improve things!
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast